Old 05-06-2012   #1
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Not so happy feet

My Jackson Happy Feet keeps getting holes in it. Jackson has been great about replacing them but I am getting tired of Ending my play session early because it.

I am going back to foam in the bulkhead. Does anyone have any good tricks to get the foam cut to the right shape?

Is there another option besides the foam?

Oh yeah, it is a 2011 super star.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #2
Commercial Paleontology
Are using the same shoes/boots everytime? You may potentialy have some sort of bur/sticker stuck in your boot you don't realize or something down in the boat that's sharp..I have been paddling a Superfun & a Superstar for 4 years now & have Never gotten a hole in either of my Happy feet..Hmmmm...Who Knows?

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had to take my happy feet out due to wanting to wear booties. I have a small cut out foam block i shove into the bow when I play now, just big enough to set the balls of my feet on.

The bigger the block the better you'll be able to shape something (how you cut it will be permanent, so cut it in a way that makes you feel the most comfy). I don't get too big into elaborate foot blocks but, some people will warp some hip pad foam to the top of the block so you get that protection on the top of your feet.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #4
pnw, Washington
I shaped my block using a hack saw for rough shaping and a dragon skin scraper for finishing work.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #5
Vail, Colorado
Jackson sells a precut foam bulkhead for the front of the Star/Fun Series. It is shimed like the Wavesport bulkheads and is a great replacement to the happyfeet. I see you are in Glenwood- Our Glenwood springs store does not have them but I have them here in Edwards. Would you like me to have one sent down there so you can check it out?
Andy McNeill
Alpine Quest Sports
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #6
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Few things cut foam as well as a regular bread knife, Sureform for shaping, and dragon skin to smooth to the touch.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #7
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey Mut
I got the precut system that Andy is talking about and it fits perfect. Worth not having to screw with cutting foam.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #8
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
The elbow on my valve broke so I have gone back to foam as well. I might get the precut if I get the chance because I just taped some spare chunks together. adequate but not great. Mine is out of warranty so I got denied by JK. once I was taught how to use it right I was ok with the happyfeet, but I just don't see spending $80 bucks to replace it. foam is stable one you get the shape right.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #9
I have started using a throwbag in the front of my playboat because my students keep losing my foam out when they use my boat. In the past, I have set the boat on a piece of foam, cut one edge. Bumped the boat over about a half inch. Cut the other edge. Adapt from there.

That or go to the wave, stand next to a similar boat, and yell "whoa look at that!!!!" instant bulk head.

Not wanting Karmic debt, a small speed loader is about the right size.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #10
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Stuff tin foil into the front of your boat and then remove it carefully. It will give you the exact shape of the nose. Then cut the foam accordingly.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote