Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-02-2013   #1
Northgate Canyon to Treasure Island May 11th and 12th

I am planning on running from Routt National Forest access down to Treasure Island on the weekend of the May 11th and 12th and have a couple of questions I haven't found answers for. How long does the shuttle from Routt to Treasure Island take, would it be much longer to go into Bennett Peak campground? Is it feasible to run from Routt to Treasure at flows between 1,000-1,500cfs (my guess of what it may be) putting in on Saturday morning and taking out Sunday afternoon?
The best information I can find shows that I could expect about 16 hours of float time to Treasure Island at those flows (1,000-1,500cfs): 4 to 5 hours to Six-Mile Gap, 8 hours to Bennett Peak campground and another 3 hours from Bennett Peak to Treasure Island. Does this sound accurate? It looks like we would want to camp around the Deadwater's or Prospect area, but I also see on the map a camp at Big Creek. Is this on the river? Do any of the campsites below Six mile have toilets?
I have run this stretch 5 or 6 times, but it has been a few years. Is anyone going to be running Northgate on Saturday the 11th that may want to buddy up for the rapids? I forget if you can collect firewood?

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
little over a hour from north gate put in to treasure. def longer shuttle if you wanna take out at bennett. flows will be just fine. and there is a bathroom at pickaroon and bennett.

swig_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #3
Thought I would clarify that I will be in a raft. Wondering if the above mentioned float times are: kicking back, drinking beer and staying out of eddies floating OR oars in the current making time floating?

Old 05-03-2013   #4
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
poudreraft, are you doing your own shuttle or who does shuttle up there? i am thinking about a self support ducky trip there in july also any info on maps or other cool stuff. Thanks this will be our first trip up there.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #5
we are running the shuttle ourselves. There is a fly fishing shop in Saratoga that runs shuttles I think
Old 05-03-2013   #6
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
They do-
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #7
Evergreen, Colorado
North Platte River-Barnes Bridge Float Access Area
Wyoming Floater's Guide - North Platte River: North Gate Canyon

Maps and info that I found earlier this season...
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
There is also a great river map here:
North Platte River | Rafting Colorado | White Water Rafting

and here:

North Platte River Map | Northgate Canyon | Colorado/Wyoming Rafting

The N. Platte is an amazing run, very beautiful area and the couple of times I have run it there has been no other boaters on the river - even on the fourth of July!
Enjoy it!
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #9
Thanks for the maps. I had found most of those in my searching. What I hope to find out is if the float times I am estimating sound reasonable. I have to work early on Monday morning and hope to time it right so we don't get home super late Sunday night. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-05-2013   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think you're under estimating the time its going take especially if you run into any wind at 1,000. At 1,500, staying in the current you can do it in 2 long days. A lot depends on the contribution from Big Creek, Douglas Creek, Brush Creek and French Creek.

GrizzlyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote