Old 06-09-2011   #1
northgate at 5100csf??

Anyone have experience in a oar rig on narrow falls at these levels?

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Let me know how it goes

I went down it at 2000 cfs a year ago. It was mild. I'm also interested in running it again this year. post your results if you do go. When we went we were in a 14 raft with oars, and with another 16 foot cat. No problem.

airnordica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #3
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
i saw it last year at 4400 and again at 5400, i took a paddle rig down no problems. above 3000 the huge rock on the right in narrow falls forms a massive hole, I have never seen or heard of anyone running it and it looks pretty nasty, its prety easy to avoid and the wall on the left after the hole doesnt want to pull to hard either above 4000. at 4400 everything is nice and juicy but at 5400 alot wash's out.
hope that helped
watersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #4
Tent City, Liquid State
Paddling Since: 1990
Hitting it saturday in an oar rig.
Maxident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #5
So how was it on sat?
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Disagree with Watersoul big time. I ran it last week in a paddle rig at 4600 and Narrow Falls is a difficult set up with big consequences. The entire river piles into a massive hole on the left, which sets you up for the wall. It's trickier now than it was at 3k because the guard rock at the top is underwater. Set up pointing hard river right, basically aiming for that guard rock at the top. If you go just left of it charging hard you can ride over the laterals into the smooth water under the house rock at the bottom. Even eddy lines can flip boats right now up there. Do not go left on the first rapid after the put in, steer right and avoid the wave train as the hole at the bottom is huge. We also had a boat dumptruck in Tootsie Roll, the hole that you're funneled into looks harmless from above but is VERY sticky and you better be t'd up to the fraction of a degree if you hit it. We were two experienced Poudre guides with a college outdoor group as paddlers. Not weekend warriors with the wife and kids.

Do not take this run for granted; dress to swim, scout Narrow, no kids and no dogs. Thanks for giving me an excuse to relate the account of our trip bro! Have fun and post a trip report.

PS: Watch for the badger digging it's den on the left side of the road just before the parking lot at the put in.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
How does Northgate at 4k+ high water compare with Browns Canyon at 3k?
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #8
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
Have to disagree with watersoul. There is pleanty of stuff that can get you at 5000+, the main 5 rapids all get larger and do not wash out. There is pleanty of pull into the wall at 5000+, and if you set up wrong (too far left) it is pretty tough to get enough pull to get off the wall. The bellow picture is a boat finally free after 1 1/2 hours against the cliff in Narrow Falls on Saturday. The problem spot is right behing where everyone is standing on the cliff. There was a paddle boat crew stuck in the same spot before this boat got stuck.
drendel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #9
Laramie, Wyoming
Here is a boat that flipped in Tootsie roll and a picture of the hole that flipped them.

Old 06-14-2011   #10
Laramie, Wyoming
Better picture of the spot you dont want to be in narrow falls.