Old 06-16-2010   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I stood on the banks of the NF Payette at flood and literally though seriously about quitting boating. Because in my mind "if this is what I have to aspire to as a boater then I am done, this is bullshit", only to tell one of my friends of the roadside terror I saw. He said, oh shit, nobody runs that this high, it is a good run at around 1600, but never this high.

So you guys fired it up huh. Ohh well, size 10 climbing shoes for me I guess, you fuckers!

In other news congratulations, I am sure that was a thrill of a lifetime that will be hard to compare/follow. Ohh, and by the way the video looks like, and the thought ran through my mind that everything would be foolish to think so, that river literally shook the ground I stood on next to it. Unbelievable, good on you all, making the impossible possible-that is quite a feat!

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #12
Boise, Idaho
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
How long did the runs take? Half an hour? Again, wow.
Top to bottom at this flow takes about 3 hours.
Pretty much continuous class V or better the whole way except for two short sections in the middle. Pretty much a 15 mile long rapid.

Mike Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #13
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Are there any narrative descriptions or quotes from the paddlers from this run. I love reading this kind of feedback from the paddlers perspective: amazing, unreal, jump in an hold on, scary as hell, never again etc. ?
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #14
Professional Transient, See above.
That looks awesome! I've run it before around 1500cfs and just laugh looking at this.

I love how fast the guard rail & trees are flying by during the road-side filming. Incredible.
Way to go guys!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #15
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

Every year I am more amazed by what people are doing. And I thought barrel at high water was awesome. Seems like you couldn't even read the water with how it haystacking and breaking in that video. Simply awesome!
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #16
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
Are there any narrative descriptions or quotes from the paddlers from this run. I love reading this kind of feedback from the paddlers perspective: amazing, unreal, jump in an hold on, scary as hell, never again etc. ?
Not the same crew, but check out this write-up of an epic high-water NF run a few years ago: A Reminder
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #17
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I've only been running the Lower 5, which is huge but pretty low stress compared to the Upper and Middle. Juicer contained the one of the biggest waves I have ever run (the one that gives up the huge rocket move in the video). I didn't step to the upper stuff because I know I'm not in good enough shape to handle a beating at the top of a rapid and make it through without swimming. The Lower had enough lulls to allow a paddler to recover before the next major feature. The middle 5 was one continuous major feature.

While there is little in the way of terminal holes, the danger comes from the fact that you can't really stop once you put on. An imploded skirt or broken paddle would leave you helpless in the middle of a big, fast, cold river full of exploding features, unpredictable boils, and hidden rocks. Even if you manage to keep your head above water in a swim, good luck getting out. The flow naturally funnels into the middle and the shore is a pile of jagged boulders with water going by at a high rate of speed. Also, several people reported hitting rocks in or after big features, which means you don't really want to be upside down either. That's all to say that small problems can spiral out of control really fast and recovery can be extremely difficult.

Bottom line: the North Fork at high flow is an amazing section of water that will totally challenge the very best paddlers in the world. We're lucky that someone decided to build a road next to it because few would consider running it if it was remote.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #18
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Were they using implosion straps? I would be so scared that I would get a skirt implosion at that level.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #19
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
that video was amazing, d.e. . thanks.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #20
I am with 5hole. Break out the fishing gear.

I thought the stuff we were doing 20 years ago was crazy. The stuff you fools are doing now makes our feats of strength look silly.

Fortunately I am old enough to be content watching from the sidelines.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote