Old 05-12-2005   #1
North Fork of the Poudre beta

Anyone that has run the North Fork of the Poudre have any beta. I wanted to make a run at it and was wondering what a good level is. Right now buzz reports 200 but it also says that is not accurate. Unfortantely I do no have my bible with me so do not remember exaclty what and if it said anything about accessing it. Any info is greatly apprciated.

zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #2
Ft Collins, Colorado

You don't need to worry about this for a couple more weeks. The lower run from Livermore to the main Poudre sucks (well, it's pretty, but there aren't any rapids), and you probably won't run the upper strech until the Div. of Wildlife opens the road to Halligan Res. The road normally opens for Memorial Day. I'm sure someone will post a note when the road opens. If the road is closed you can (1) carry out from Halligan (Ugly!!), or (2) carry around Halligan and run through Phantom Canyon to the Cherokee Park road. If you do this, you'll be tresspassing on the res and around the dam, you'll piss off and be confronted by any landowners below Halligan that see you and the TNC, and you'll have to bash through the willows between Halligan and the road. I don't recall any particularly good rapids below Halligan and the confrontations are really unpleasant - I won't be going back. There's a recently approved plan to significantly increase the size of Halligan dam, and there will probably be construction and surveying crews in there (they may already be working - anyone know??). I've never heard of anyone getting busted around Halligan (but this doesn't mean it hasn't happened!!) but who knows with the increased activities associated with the dam expansion - you've been warned!

I'm not sure how much of the canyon will be flooded by the expansion of the dam, but it'll clearly change the bottom part of the run. There should be a good season this year (well, any season is a good one on this creek!), and it's a beautiful 'beginning creek' run - much easier than the other local creeking options. There are always a few logs that require carrying, and if you don't have a guide there's an excellent chance you'll run the falls without scouting since it's *really* hard to see. There's a last-chance eddy on river-right, but it'll probably be too late when you realize you want it. Hope for a clean landing!

There's no gauge on the NF. Some years it's too low before the road opens.

The landowner at the putin is very boater unfriendly (and observant) and there have been many confrontations at the putin. You can legally put in on the road easement DIRECTLY adjacent to the bridge, but don't tresspass - the landowner will likely be watching you very closely. If there's a confrontation, be sure you're on public land and call the sheriff.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote