Mountain Buzz banner

North Fork of the Poudre

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lagoonia 
#1 ·
We did the upper section on NF of the poudre today and it is at a good level. It would be tough for me to guess the flow, I'd say 450 give or take a couple honies. The SE dudes I was with styled the big drop and made it look like plop'n drop.... I walked.

We encoutered 4 barbed wire fences, we only portaged the second one and squeezed by the rest. I think the third one was the most difficult to go under.

Anybody know anything about the little south? I wouldn't be suprised if it was done but I honestly have no clue.

-jp

#3 ·
This won't be too helpful but I think we used the description in CRC for legal acces at both ends. We had to hike to the river about a mile to get on and then there is a very short flatwater paddle to get out. The reservoir backs some flatwater up the river a little ways but it's not a big deal -- especially considering the hike in. So the put in is a hike from a trail head you arrive at shortly after driving over the river, and the take out is at a resevoir.
It's definately class IV cause it's continuous and it's shallow enough that you don't want to be flippin. I think we portaged logs in 3 places, 2 of which come almost immediately after putting on. We boat scouted most of it but there were are few places where we got out because we couldn't see around a corner or an H-line. I think CRC calls the waterfall class V, it's 8 feet or so and there isn't a convienent way to have safety set up close to the hole. The dudes who ran it had absolutely no trouble and it made me regret walking. The portage is a b.. but whatever. After you get through the rapids you leave the canyon and you can feel that you are more in the "plains." This is when the private land and barbed wire show up. From here it is a couple of miles of class II to the res. I might be interested in joining you guys on sunday, but I might not be able to boat. I thought the scenery on the run was great too.

Sorry for the vague shuttle info, I wasn't the navigator.

-jp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.