Old 10-21-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
North fork of South Platte?

Access on North Fork of the South Platte?

Wanting to do a relatively mellow stretch (class I/II) with the family in an inflatable kayak. Next June or July.

Question - Can you paddle from Pine Valley Ranch (Just up stream from Pine) down to Buffalo Creek area? Are there any obstacles or land owner issues? Is it kayakable?

Thanks for any info.

ikpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #2
yes there are.. Not class I/II Just hike down to the private land/camera gate and you'll see

rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
NFSP isn't that good of a mellow stretch.

A good IK mellow stretch might be filter plant section of the poudre. Another good one might be glenwood canyon from grizzly creek into town.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
pumphouse would be a good choice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #5
oh yeah
what's between pine and foxton?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by danger View Post
what's between pine and foxton?
Nothing too serious, but maybe a step or two up from family IK water.

haven't done it 15 years, but my first time down Bailey, we set our shuttle way too far downstream...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #7
Deckers, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
There is a lot of private land on that stretch and they are not really use to having boaters around because it is not commonly run. I can think of on structure on a private ranch that could easily give you trouble. You could do many different stretches of the South Fork of the South Platte Below Deckers there are a number of public pull offs on the Road. Things get a little more difficult the closer you get to the confluence.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #8
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If you are looking for I/II you should look at filter plant or south platte by ft lupton. I/II are pretty boring(yawn), step up would be C470 to platte river bar&grill. Pumphouse in June/July will be III-/III through little gore but pretty straighforward. Maybe griz creek below shosho for I/II, or rancho on down?
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There is a short section below the Bailey takeout at Pine Valley Ranch that can be run .It's maybe 1/2 mile carry back on a fishermen's trail.There is a nice ledge IV-/IV with a hole that could stuff you at higher flows .A short pool follows with some extremely nasty wood on the drop that drains it, Portage!There is a longer rapid that is IV when it's cranking ,3/3+ otherwise.After this you come to a cable over the river/fence on trail with no tresspassing signs and a video camera at a III rapid.They used to run this before PVR takeout existed.There were issues with landowners.Now nobody does it so they probably would be pissed if you went through ,there is a fishing resort or something.After Pine you are going through another meadow on private property[same ranch? ] one drop visible from the road looks like good play.Once the road goes out of sight of this ranch you could jump the fence and run a couple rapids above Buffalo Creek III's.The highest legal put in is at that store in Buffalo Creek,it's apx. 1 to 1 1/2 miles to the boulder garden.This part is mostly flat with a couple III'S.

As far as I - II in that area,Deckers to confluence seems obvious ,last 2 miles II[III].The last three miles of the No.Fk. is an easier run II-III.You could easily run the Chutes then move up to lower Foxton.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote