Old 01-18-2007   #11
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
There isn't much in the way of high tech industry around Asheville. It's big businesses are banks and such. I would probably live there if I could have found a job. Knoxville on the other side of the Smokies has some tech industry as does the Charlotte area, but then you're not quite in the thick of things like in Asheville.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
There's so many good runs out in the SE. Just head out there with the mindset that you'll go where the water is and get away from the people. I wouldn't go to Tallulah or Cheoah unless you love crowds. Head somewhere remote and see what it's really all about.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #13
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The AW site has plenty of beta on SE rivers. For a class IV boater, the must-do runs are (in increasing committment, remoteness and difficulty level):

Chattooga Sec. IV
Tallulah (you can walk the big two if you want)

I totally agree that Watauga is the best class IV out there - countless boofs and you can do laps on Stateline Falls. Wilson Creek is a nice run as well. Cheoah is fun, but I only ran it before the releases so I can imagine that the crowds and parking problems are huge in that place when there is a scheduled release. Shallow at the bottom of Big'Un, so watch it there. Sorta like second drop of Lost Paddle on the Gauley, but lots of spray and hard to see (@1000).

Never got to Overflow (*sigh*) but my friends out there who are solid V and V+ boaters do say it is a legit V. There are big drops and the geology is the same as the Chattooga, i.e., undercut. If you are a class IV boater, I would not head to the Green. It is one of my two favorite creeks (other is Watauga) but it has loads of read-and-run IV and IV+. To really enjoy the Green, you need to be able to read-and-run hard IVs and follow someone down easy Vs without scouting them. If you scout the Vs, it will take you twice as long to run the Green. If you scout the IVs, it will take you two days. If you're a strong IV-boater and have a guide and crew willing to be patient and scout the Vs with you, I think it's still a good option.

You're gonna love the SE. It is awesome whitewater and beautiful scenery. Avoid the boiled peanuts.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #14
Georgia Moonshine
Pray for rain, baby. Pray for rain. I could hook you up with my buddy, Sutton, but judging from what I hear on the buzz, "forgedabodit"

Upper Tellico, (bit of a drive from A-Town but it's bitch'n) check out the Choata Paddle Club but Beware them GDI Brigade boys, them hillbilies is De-genrate.
Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #15
to sum it up

Between March and April, I would go with April. The past two Marches have actually been pretty dry relatively speaking. Also April has a couple of great guaranteed water runs - the Cheoah and Tallulah Gorge. Tallulah runs first two weekends of April & Cheoah releases on the 4/14. Tallulah has of course Oceana but otherwise is somewhat similar in nature to the Watauga that has already been mentioned in several other posts & should be on the short list for sure. Cheoah is a 'western style' class 4 river.

There will be people but parking and the numbers won't be bad at all. This past fall when Cheoah ran opposite of Tallulah, it thinned every one out between the two & that's if there isn't much natural flow going too. If you're at Tallulah, may as well check out Section 4 of Chattooga.

Heres some others from easy to more difficult:
Big Laurel - Hot Springs, NC
Spring Creek - Hot Springs, NC
Charlotte Whitewater Park - ??? haven't been but hear it's a hoot
Little River - Sinks to Elbow - Great Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park
Tremont - GSMNP (typically runs if Little is pretty high)
Doe River - Hampton, TN (good to run along w/ Watauga)
Wilson Creek - near Morganton, NC (scenic & roadside, good for laps, & super easy to catch a shuttle when it runs)
Lower Big Creek - GSMNP (nothing big or tall, just one long class 4 rapid)
North Fork French Broad - Brevard, NC
West Fork French Broad
Watauga Gorge - ultra quality class 4-4+/5-
Green 'Lite' - definitely at the high end of class 4+/5- even leaving out the big baddies

probably some more that I'm forgetting at the moment, but that should get you started.

The best guidebook as previously mentioned is Leland Davis NC Rivers and Creeks. Similar format as Colorado Rivers & Creeks.

Do a raindance & enjoy!!

mtnsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #16
Post up on our site as your dates get closer. We regularly paddle the runs that have been listed and I'm sure you'd have plenty of volunteers to show you down. is the board. Just be aware that is isn't like boatertalk. Use your name or your post/s will get nuked.
Hope to see you in April.

ncpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #17
Send a message via AIM to Goreman
Originally Posted by the_dude
here's a link for a guidebook.

this guy is an authority on the green narrows.

If you ever paddle in NC you must have Leland's Guidebook, North Carolina Rivers and Creeks.

It rivals the Colorado Rivers and Creeks
Goreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #18
Bought it !

Ordered it yesterday online.... Looks like we are headed out there in April. I will try to time it with a release so we are guaranteed some boating.

I am thinking of taking a creek class with NOC. Any opinions on NOC and/or this class?

Pray for rain in April.... Thanks for the advice; this is exactly what I neededÂ…
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #19
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
you might also have a look at the creeking clinics that Andria and I offer each spring. We have some running in April of this year when you will be in our area.

You can post on boatertalk and ask for reviews - a lot of folks from over there have taken a clinic with us.

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #20
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
My dad did classes there in the early 80s and loved it. I took a class there in 1999 and loved it. I also spent two summers working on the outfitter's store and hung out and creeked with many of the instructors there -- they are outstanding teachers. Many either left a successful career to join the river community full-time or end up leaving it for a career somewhere else. My instructor in '99 was a former writer for The New Yorker. Some of the instructors I know left to become a doctor or a Ph.D.

The quality of instruction is simply top-notch. Many of the instructors are extremely gifted at teaching and most have boated around the world. Wayne Dickert and Jimmy Holcombe are probably two of the best whitewater instructors alive - and this taking nothing away from the rest of the istruction staff.

So, you heard the disclaimer - I used to work there. But I went to work there because I loved the place and when I left, I still did. The accomodations can be anything from free camping (ask someone to show you the spot below Big Wesser, or camp along the Upper Nanny or Winding Stairs Road) to hostel-style bunks to a private room. The food is great and they grow many of their own spices right in front of the restaurant! Bottom line - great instruction and a great facility and location near rivers of every level.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote