Old 03-06-2015   #31
Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by Steveosuburbs View Post
I sent the guy an email!

Im 6.0 and 160 pounds, would it be an okay size do you think?
i think at 160 your good to go on most boats. some might float you a little better than others. youll figure it out though.

robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #32
woodside, New York
The guy doesn't know the size or model or year-but from the pictures I have looked at and from what Soggy_tortilla has told me it is a Recoil.

Anybody else have any feedback on if it's a good size? I don't want to buy a boat and have it too small.

Steveosuburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #33
woodside, New York
Originally Posted by SKeen View Post
So far people have suggested creek boats, river runners, and playboats. I would suggest a river running playboat. Something that is shorter than a river runner, and decent for surfing, yet not quite as small and squirrely as a modern playboat. You can learn to surf, cartwheel, etc... and still maintain a little more speed and stability.

The Fun series of boats by Jackson is a good example of this. Another is the Dagger Prescription. Its not made any more but you could find a good deal on a used one.
Originally Posted by J View Post
+1 for the play boat. Creeker or river runner will be fine, but you'll become a better paddler in a play boat and can then move on to a creeker when the level/type of the whitewater dictates the need.
Originally Posted by shredder-scott View Post

In this sport make a distinction between cheap and used good value.

Cheap = junk stay away

value = less expensive good quality. ..go for that

I suggest if you want to learn hard shell kayak you take lessions ...a good roll is very important.

why not goto to a kayak camp as part of your vacation ...use their gear....learn a lot ...then buy some gear.

Be advised ...this is dangerous sport ....a newbe is at great risk do not understand the dangers. ......take swr class to help you learn.

paddle on

Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Yes. And a river runner may be more suited for that on paper. But a playboat will make calm and easy rivers more fun for you. And as other people said, if you are interested in learning, it will develop your skills quicker than a river runner. In your first 1/2 seasons you probably won't ever notice a difference between a playboat or river runner except you will have more boat control and feel for the water if you start in a playboat.

I would disagree about the throw bag (maybe) and z drag. A new, first year kayaker should not be running anything requiring a throw bag, nor should they be setting safety for people which requires a throw bag. However I wouldn't totally say it is a bad idea to have a throw bag and rope handy so this point could be argued. But on to the z-drag. A new kayaker who never took a SWR course should not have a z-drag kit because they will not know how to properly use it, and they probably won't ever be in a situation or river requiring the use of one. They would most likely be in way over their head if they were. I would consider it as somewhat advanced rescue gear and technique. Imagine someone trying to free a pinned boat and trying to setup a zdrag, never using one or being in that type of situation. That has recipe for disaster written all over it.

Hey guys, so this guy is about 2 hours from me. We have been in contant--but he is unsure of the season or size of the boat.

I'm 6 foot and a 160 pounds ( might be important to say I'm trying to gain 10 pounds by the end of this semester, so by the time im using this boat i will be 170)

From what you can tell, is the the recoil S, M, or L? Im worried I'll get a boat that isn't the right size. If you guys think its okay, I'll pick it up today.

Kayak for sale
Steveosuburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #34
Jenks, Oklahoma
What surprises me about this thread is the inability to reach a conclusion.

Go boating, what ever it takes just do it.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #35
Steamboat, Colorado
Tell the guy there should be a s, m or l on the back of the boat by the drain plug
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #36
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
I love steveosuburbs attitude. He is stoked to go boating and really wants the right info. Keep at it buddy!

Woke up this morning at 10:13.
A hole so big, it sucked the leaves off the tree.
DesertRatonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #37
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
In terms of weight the Recoil M or L should do fine. In terms of height and shoe size you will need to sit in the boat to know if it will work for you.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015   #38
Steamboat, Colorado
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
I feel bad for the people that buy brand new mambas and heroes, bent shaft werners, dry tops that cost more than a prom dress, and rescue jackets they don't know how to use, only to discover that they actually hate being in a kayak. Now they're trying to sell their gear on craigslist at what they bought it for.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about:

2011 kayak Jackson 4 fun
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #39
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Just realize this - it will suck you in, you'll spend money every year replacing and upgrading gear. It's like heroin except you'll have moments of "Why the F%$k am I doing this" to go with all of those moments of euphoria. You'll know you have a problem when you slow down or stop over every bridge to if there's something running under it. Lastly, every spring, when it gets warm, you start checking the flows not just daily, but hourly...

It is then you will know that you are an addict and water is your drug....

Disclaimer: There is no 12-Step program for this disease. May cause burning sensations in the groin area from wearing rubber and/or drysuits for entended periods of time. May cause divorce or dumping by girlfriends and wives. May cause dissociative disorder with offspring who will no longer recognize you due to extended periods of paddling. May cause the complete loss of all vacation time because you burned it up on a Middle Fork trip.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #40
Jenks, Oklahoma
One really truthful post above by mvhyde
read and head

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote