Old 04-28-2010   #11
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for all the advice...but I am sure it is an allergy. My neck now becomes irritated within 15 minutes of paddling and I am sure that probably wouldn't happen from rubbing that soon. My wrists also gets a rash but the skin isn't quite as sensitive there.
Oh yes work...fortunately I work in a private clinic where we all wear non latex (because of me) I mostly just wear gloves for preparing IV's and only wear them when I am starting IV's if I have a cut on my hand.
I may try the idea of wrapping something on my neck first. I really don't like the other option of (non water tight) brrrr... I hate freezing water running down my neck.
Happy Paddling everyone.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The American Latex Allergy Association

NIOSH/latex alert

While there is some experimentation with increasing exposure to reduce such allergies (peanuts were mentioned), it is very much in the experimental stage. Working with an allergist to assess your overall situation is critical before attempting anything like that, it's typically not recommended. The risk is progressing the allergy to more severe affects, reactions to lower exposures, and additional foods becoming allergens.

As I mentioned, my neoprene gaskets keep me dry.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #13
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
I had a similar, but less severe, problem when I used to paddle every day. I was living on the cheap, and didn't want to shell out for a new dry top. Solution: safeway bag. Before putting my dry top on, I'd poke a hole in the bottom of the bag, slip my arms through the handles, and put my head through the hole--a very strange neck-vest. Once the dry top went on, I'd situate the shopping bag as a liner, so the latex didn't touch my neck. If I was feeling stylish, I'd tuck the shopping bag under the gasket cover so it was invisible. If I wasn't feeling stylish, I'd get a lot of comments. The upsides: effective, dry, cheap, and a great icebreaker. The downsides: I'd still touch latex getting the top on and off, and my wrists were still exposed. Wrists were probably OK due to my Travolta-like abundance of body hair. Thinking maybe you have a little less of that, Brenda?

Sounds like you're far more allergic than I was, or in retrospect, maybe I just had a really bad chafing issue. But take it for what it's worth...
duncleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #14
Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a latex allergy too and have a non laytex drytop. I have a palm drytop that is basically duble tunnel paddle jacket. It just has neo wrists and neck. i have found that if i wear a fleece under it I do not feel any of the small amount of water that comes through. I think kokatat makes one too and i have personally talked to John at IR about making a non laytex drysuit and drytop. He that he can do it as a custom order to any drytop they make, it just will cost about 15 dollars more.

pcpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote