Old 01-25-2005   #11
Originally Posted by mfrench
The only reason I mentioned the punching holes thing is that I paddled with 2 buddies in NZ and they both said they felt that the boat kinda of stalled out midway thru punching the hole and got sucked back in. But who knows maybe they just didn't have enough speed the get thru. They both were paddling the 8.5
I paddle the 8.1 and after moving the seat forward a little I noticed the same problem. I got a buddy to look at my trim, when I lent forward to punch holes I was disengaging the front rocker, losing all my forward speed in the foam pile and felt like I was being sucked back into the holes I wanted to avoid. I moved the seat back and it punches holes no probs.

The seat is adjustable but it takes a bit. Not to tough though and can be done within an hour.
WHAT??? Takes a bit longer than an hour. You have to take out all the bolts and redrill everything a nightmare to adjust, but I have to say it is solid.

I am checking to make sure the boats are being sent out with the correct amount of support foam so as to help prevent hull wear.
I can fit my hand under the hull runner (between the seat & piller), do I have the wrong amount of support foam??

**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #12
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
If it seems to need foam then give er'. If it's an issue, contact the factory. As for the seat adjustment, I promise you I can get it moved in an hour.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #13
ok. so now the question is do you want to move the seat. What or the pros and cons...Hobie?

mfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #14
ok. so now the question is do you want to move the seat. What or the pros and cons....
You need to get the boat on the water and check the trim to see if you need to move the seat. As for pros & cons, if your seat is in the wrong position it will affect the trim too far back and you will end up back looped alot, too far forward loose forward speed, stall trying to punch hole/stoppers. If you adjust the seat to the right position for your weight (even though 2 people are the same weight, 1 person could have heavier feet/head a different weight distribution) mmmmmm schweeeet boating.

Hobie asures it only takes an hour, if you need to move it, move it, you'll be better off in the long run.
**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #15
Interesting, wonder if my seat is adjusted right. So what would you look at for any boat to check this out since lots of boats do not have equal rocker in the bow and stern?

GrooveNinja is offline   Reply With Quote