Old 05-05-2005   #11
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Looks like we are on for Escalante on Sunday. I will have both Nomads so feel free to try one out. We will be in the Subaru so look for us there sometime around 11ish im guessing. Call me Sat. night at (970) 390-6860 and we can line it up.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Double post due to some lame error msg when I first tried.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #13
Eagle, Colorado
Double post due to some lame error msg when I first tried.
Old 05-05-2005   #14
I've spent about a month in my Jefe now and I'm still really like it. A friend has a Nomad 8.5 and from a size comparison they are very similar boats. I'll see if I can find my side by side pics. The Jefe has more rocker and volume in the bow and the Nomad 8.5 has more volume in the rear. My best guess is that this would make the nomad hit the dark water a little fast while punching a hole and the Jefe will re-surface a little better. IMO the Jefe feels like a Huka with better tracking and a little more length. I'm also a big fan on LL's outfitting, simple and bomber, but i'm sure there is someone who has broken about everything out there.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #15
Eagle, Colorado

Check your email and let me know if you got the one I sent.

Here's the error I keep getting when I post...

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

Line : 234
File : /home/httpd/vhosts/
Old 05-05-2005   #16
Jefe more versitile?

I paddle a nomad 8.5. I like it 90% of the time. Ive seen the LL paddlers on the green with their jefes and they look sweet. I lost to hobie in the nomad. I have to say go with the jefe because its newer. The nomad hull is a great boat but I think the outfitting sucks. The flipswitch backband doesnt give you the personal touch of getting it just right everytime. Also the nomads seat comes up high so it is hard to get gear in. On the other side LL designed the jefe for expeditions so it shouldnt be a problem. I havent paddled the jefe but Im assuming they will paddle very similar. The main difference that I really see is that dagger made two sizes for two different size people. LL made one creeker that fits everybody. I dont know about everybodys size here but Im about 165 5'11" and thought the small nomad too small. The large one fits well but I think I should be in the middle of the two. I paddled the gus before that and there really wasnt anysize difference so I went with larger one. On a positive note for dagger, my boat did a waterfall without me and had both ends bashed in. A little hot water and it lots just like before. I dont if other creekers would do the same. If I had a grand, I would probably get in a jefe. If I break my nomad and find a cheap one, I have no problem getting another nomad. Both are good boats. Russell
russllmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #17
Just posted some pics of the 8.5 and Jefe side by side.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #18
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Thanks for the great response everyone. I remember feeling a very aggressive posture in the Nomad, and I did like the Flipswitch backband, even though I didn't have time to really tweak it just right. That bit about the knees is interesting - Marc Lyle always seems to place the knees higher and further out in his designs, something I think is a great feature. Hopefully I can demo both soon and get one dialed in before the water comes full-on.

Hobie - tell Marc there's one vote for Dagger's next creeker having that short rail like the CFS. I seriously think that is the best hull invention ever for creeking. If Dagger makes a Nomad with that rail, I'll buy Dagger creekers till I can't boat anymore.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #19
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I have not been a dagger fan since the freefall lt got outdated...I hated all there creek boats until I paddled the nomad in the embudo around 3.6-3.7ish and it was awesome..I am now buying one as we chat,as it had everything I wanted in a boat..Look forward to getting my own here real soon...

Saw the jefe while in the east a month ago and it looked awesome also...Cannot wait to paddle it and see what it is all about...The one thing I did'nt like was how narrow it was and it seemed to have a narrow cockpit to escape from...Again I think the jefe looks awesome and cannot wait to try her out but Dagger has sold me on the Nomad...

Be safe out there and hit it with your head...

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote