Old 08-17-2004   #11
Arn... that's the best No Shit river story I have ever heard. I am going to hang out at Foxton Creek more often!

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #12
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I have to disagree with people discussing swimming frog rock as a "learning experience". Swimming frog rock has been multiple people's final experience and there is good reason that most raft companies now portage frog below 750 cfs. The move is easy class III with lethal consequences.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #13
BV, Colorado
Keep the "No shit stories" coming butt... I got my ass kicked on the milk run several years ago and am glad for it. Two years ago I helped the recovery of the newley weds at frog rock. And I think it was that same year that my buddy Alex and I pulled the guy out that died at numbers #5. Last year I pulled out a guy just above the new bridge at the Mt Harvard Estates(some where in the Fractions, I havent paddled fractions in 2 or 3 years) And if I remember correctly an 8 or 10 year old boy died at frog rock about 3 years ago. Then there is the number of close calls ive herd about at frog rock. A newbie must understand the gravity of the potential outcome before running anything. Everybodys learning curve is different, but dead is dead.
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #14
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
I've done that run but I can't remember what the consequences are at frog rock, could somebody remind me where the danger is? Is there some sort of hazard in it. I do know I accidentally ran the dam on the left, that was kinda scary
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
There is a pretty significant rock sieve on the right side of Frog Rock. This is the location of many fatalities. I heard from AHRA that there was all kinds of paddler/rafter debris in the seive when they cleaned it out at low water. Very easy move, but big consequences. I have also heard of some who have had a scary experience with the large boulder in the center. It is undercut just below the surface and some have hit it, gone under, but flush into the deep main channel on the left.

If you haven't run it before, it might pay to take a look. Easy rapid, but it never killed anyone to portage.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #16
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Flowtorch,

I think you're talking about the dam below the BV wave, not the Fractions section. I ran that on the left too awhile back (1000 cfs) and toom me by surprise too! I sure wasn't expecting the 6-ft drop and once committed didn't know if there's be rebar down there or what. Afterwards another rafter who lives in Salida told me the boat chute on the right is "dangerous at any level" though.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #17
So back to the original story and newbies in over their heads...

Sometimes getting good advice, studying CRCII and scouting a run isn't enough to convince newbies of the danger, unfortunately, they have to experience it for themselves. I was introduced to paddeling by some very safe and experienced boaters and received many talks about the power of water, I read CRCI from cover to cover multiple times and had watched countless videos. I felt I knew about water. So, I decided to run Shoshone in Glenwood at 4000 cfs. My buddy, who was also on his 3rd week of boating, and I spent 2.5 hours walking up and down, scouting the run, picking our lines and even pointing out our eddies. We had the entire shosho run visualized. We got geared up, got into our boats, pushed off from the shore got rolled on the eddie line 5 feet from shore and swam a thousand yards downstream.
The point is that until somone experiences the power of water, they are incapable of appreciating it and until someone appreciates the power, they are in danger of sucumbing to it. Most make it through that first stage of putting themselves at risk.
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #18
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Yep, that sounds right. We just got done havin our safety talk and then...No shit, there we were. I got up to the edge of that thing, eyes got big, thought, this aint where i'm supposed to be. I took one hard stroke and made it thru upright but since I made it look so easy my partners behind thought they could do the same,pfft. I had to get out and look back around the corner to see that nasty shit, it is ugly. I remember thinkin the right side looked fun

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote