Old 03-08-2007   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to ystrdaysmilk
We ran groups of 15 people on the Salt twice last year in 4, 13' otters below 200 CFS. Once launching from Gleason and the other time launching at Hoodoos. Had to get out and push a couple of times but it can be done. Also had to portage Black Rock each time due to a nasty drop in the only available channel at that level.

ystrdaysmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #12
We did a pretty standard, regular frills trip with beer and good food in two 14' self bailing rafts, each with stuff and 2 passengers and ~4 kayakers (10 total) at about 500 cfs at launch and 350 at takeout. May 12, 2003.

Not too bad. Lots of rocks to be dodged and the requisite low water skills are requisite. No bad wrap rocks, though. Black Rock is a scout, as well as Quartzite and Rat Trap, and maybe a couple of others. I would launch just above Cibecue (there's a decent camp right there off the road), or just below. Anything in the first ~4 miles from The Bridge, are ridiculous at that flow, good above 700 (in a 14' raft).

Check the new rules for the Indian Permits, absolutely be chill, and humble with the Indians. Those guys don't fuck around. Get 'em from Mild to Wild, apparently.

Overall, really low water trips on the Salt are good. I've done a few trips down there, and it never gets undoable, high or low. Put your kitchen up high, and always anticipate dramatic river level increases.

EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #13
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995

Shes come up 100 cfs in about 24 hours. Supposed to be in the 85's at some point soon in GLOBE.
I got a buddy who has a permit, so far we are 2 open canoeist doing it self support. We launch March 22. T.O. on the 26th
If anyone wants to join feel free to email me :
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #14
Durango, Colorado
We just took off yesterday. Average flow was around 300. We had 4 fully loaded rafts (2 16 footers and 2 13 footers). We put on at Gleason after a bitch of a shuttle. We lined the rafts through Black Rock and definately had to drag the boats in spots, but nothing really that bad.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #15
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
-We just got back last night. Around 300 the whole trip. Lots of pushing the 16 footer through horseshoe bend, but not that bad. We were extremely loaded and we made it no problem. Four rafts from 12 to 16 feet. Extremely loaded (why leave the booze at home?). Plan on boozing all day everyday. 8 kayakers. 15 people total. Exceptional low water kayak scouting skills is mandatory or your rafts will get screwwed in some channels. Plan on 2 miles an hour at 300 cfs. we lined four boats down blackrock in a little under two hours. The slot at quartzite fit the 16 footer with shipped oars.
-Awesome weather. It will be rising fast in the next week, unless globe temps get back down to low 70's again.
-One important thing- The gleason flat road has been refurbished and is 15 times better than i have ever seen it. Please do not tear this road up, i.e. put it in fourwheel drive for the last half mile. It may be another 15 years before they fix it again.
-Another important thing- Fossil is ok even if you are in the area. It is not worth the six hour drive just for that. definately not 12 hours from the front range. It is fun if you have an extra day and a playboat.
-See you at the next storm when it gets to 15000.
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #16
No BEER?????????

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote