Old 01-23-2012   #11
Denver,, exhaustion
Originally Posted by t up View Post
Be careful about not talking too much shit about commercial guides! Remember were people too...

Ahh... it's "we're" and "anywhere", not anyware.
Seriously! Stupid Raft Guides, trying to say they are people too.

Relax... just having fun.

For the record, i think somebody should do the cat thing... and post the pics.

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #12
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Bummer, but I guess that is 2 less things I need to worry about on the river. We kept them on a leash shit, when we had the old girl she would just lay there attatched to a rock or a fence and we'd tie the 2 little ones on her, Alvin used to laugh about that. Yeah we did try to find all the poop at a campsite sometimes we did sometimes we didn't. sometimes we went with people who didn't give a rats ass what their dog did and we wouldn't invite them on another trip if we had the permit.Oh well I guess my girlfreind will now oar her own boat as opposed to hanging on to the dogs and I can take whatever line I want to now. It was a good ride with the dogs while it happened.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 2 dogs.bmp (1.11 MB, 109 views)

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Cats rock, they can surf like no one's business.

So now it's also the BLM rangers that suck, not just the bureaucrazy! How is it that the FS can keep their campground's dogs under control, but the BLM can't? POS

I love the dogs tied together system, use it all the time in FS campgrounds.

So what river trip in Utah is left available to dogs? Just Labyrinth?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm with you lhowemt.....dogs don't seem to be an issue on the Main Salmon, Middle Fork, or Rogue. In many years of boating these dog friendly rivers, we've never had dog poop problems, dogs running wild or chasing wildlife, dog fights, excessive barking, etc. The river rangers & river runners seem pretty chill about the dogs. We've never a negative interaction with anyone regarding our river dog or any other group's dogs.
I'm still not buying the dog problem on Deso, since dogs were only allowed for a 3 month time period during low use season. But I've never run Deso during that time period, so I guess I can't say for certain.
The only negative experiences I've had on Westwater have been drunk stupid humans.
I'm not sure if the problem in Utah is irresponsible owners, over controlling management agencies, or complaining whiners. A mix of all three I suppose.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #15
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
What Okieboater said should be quoted for truth. Sad but true.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
PFD'S FOR CATS!!!! one step closer to a necessary point to prove.

Assortment and supply of cats(local humane society): check.
Motivation to prove a point: check.
Nail file: check.

PFD's for Cats: check.

Attached Images
coloradogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #17
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by coloradogem View Post
Assortment and supply of cats(local humane society): check.
The trip to the Humane Society would be almost as entertaining as the river trip. I'd love to see the explanation for adopting 10 cats. "I'm taking them on a river trip to prove a point. Don't worry, they'll have PFD's..." LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #18
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Here is my kitty designing a C1 with me She can't wait to get on the water!.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #19
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've been a BLM volunteer at WW for over 12 years. No matter how devoted any single-dog owner may be, at the end of the day with 8000+ people showing up each year, the dog problems persist. Basically, its the poop. Going around picking up someone else's dog's poop day after day all summer long just gets old. It's that simple. Let's remember - - BLM rangers get paid very little. Volunteers get paid even less (zero). If you haven't tried to play host at a place like WW or Sand Wash all season long year after year, and then end up picking up dog crap at the end of each day after trying to "play nice to the people" all day long, you have no idea how annoying it is. (BTW, I love dogs, but I have no problem with the restrictions, since I've actually had to deal with the dog issues, including being bitten once.) Too many people, not enough wilderness.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
respectfully/well put. I thank you for your services.
I have one question: why do you stay year after year x12?

Empathetic note: I work 12 hr nights in the ER...I understand your underpaid people pleasing poopy smelling position. At the end of a day (night), and one more pee/poop soaked vomiting drunk takes a swing/spits/calls me a fat ugly bitch....somebody's goin down. Then- I get to come home to those Westwater-banned furry howling smiling faces that are asking when we're hitting the river next.

I hate cleaning up someone elses poop/blood/pee/puke and you hate cleaning up someone elses dog poop. cheers to our jobs that we choose to keep.

I hope there will be a respectful reconsideration on the Westwater dog ban.

When theres a future ban on cats, everyone will be begging to have the dogs back to keep the feral kitties, let loose by irresponsible people, at bay. (joke)

coloradogem is offline   Reply With Quote