Old 09-09-2007   #11
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
nice verbage dave.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #12
Mad Scientist/Creeker
YO! You asleep at the mouse! Write a letter to the Forest Service! Now!

Seriously though - this is a very important battle for AW and could affect the entire Wilderness system. If this *BS* stands it will set a bad precedent and some sad day down the road we might not be allowed to boat the run by the same initials of the BS. Here is the link again to all the info you need.

American Whitewater - No Boats in Wilderness?

Copy someone else's letter if you don't have time to write your own but JUST DO IT! BY SEPTEMBER 13! THIS WEDNESDAY! DO IT! OK.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sent my letter in. I noted that several agencies including the forest service, the BLM, and the National Park Service all regulate wilderness river systems that allow for boating with such notable examples as the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, the Middle Fork of the Salmon etc. Wilderness ethics for boating are well established and have a track record of success.

This is also a great example of why all boaters should join AW. They need support to fight issues like this. This could just as easlily be sportmans paradise fisherman in cheesman, as it could fishermen on the chattooga.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #14
Gnarnia, Colorado
Another letter...

September 10, 2007

Francis Marion & Sumter National Forest
4931 Broad River Rd.
Columbia, SC 29212-3530

To whom it may concern,

I've recently become aware of pressures from anglers to limit or eliminate recreational boating from certain stretches of the Chattooga river. It is my understanding that anglers would like to keep the river "safe" from boaters and block access for this kind of appropriate and legal use of rivers in Wilderness. I have extensively studied the 1964 Wilderness Act and know that human powered kayaking, canoeing and rafting fall squarely within the range of acceptable use of Wilderness because of their non-motorized/mechanized nature.

From the 1964 Wilderness Act:

"...lands designated for preservation and protection in their natural condition..." Section 2(a)

" area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man..." Section 2(c)

" area of undeveloped Federal land retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvement or human habitation..." Section 2(c)

"...generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of man's work substantially unnoticeable..." Section 2(c)

"...has outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation..." Section 2(c)

"...shall be devoted to the public purposes of recreation, scenic, scientific, educational, conservation and historic use." Section 4(b)

Based on the above quotes, I do not see how boating is incompatible with the Wilderness values set forth in the Act.

I find it extremely disturbing that kayaking has been compared to ATV use, which if far more damaging to the environment and would, under the current Wilderness Act, be prohibited in Wilderness. Therefore, comparisons of kayaking to ATV use are absolutely unfounded and profoundly absurd.

Kayakers leaving trash behind is a relative non-issue. It has been my experience that tubers with coolers full of beer and bait cups and monofilament fishing line left behind by anglers are more to blame than the trash that might be left behind by recreational boaters.

As far as safety issues resulting from boaters and tubers/swimmers, this is a non-issue. When the water is low enough to tube safely, boaters are generally on rivers that have more water such as the dam release Ocoee, Nantahala, etc. This is an overblown assessment of a risk that isn't truly a risk.

I find it unfortunate that the USDA Forest Service is bowing to one group of forest users and not taking into account the myriad uses of OUR national forest lands, particularly Wilderness. It would do the decision makers on the Francis Marion good to take a close look at the mission statement of the USDA Forest Service "CARING FOR THE LAND AND SERVING PEOPLE" My understand is that the agency is in existence to serve ALL people who are enjoying THEIR national forest in a legal and appropriate manor. Not to bow to the special interest of one particular user group.

Thank you for your consideration of my comments on this critical issue. I trust that you’ll make the right decision.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Let 'em hear from you. I got mine submitted. Thanks for the above lettters that gave me a start!

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote