Old 08-15-2010   #1
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
NF South Platte Recreational Release Survey

Thanks again to Ian for getting the recreational release flows!

Bailey Fest was a huge success, and CW's Foxton run on Sunday (dubbed Foxton Fest) was well attended also. Much fun was had by boaters of all abilities on the NF South Platte this weekend. For those who didn't get a chance to fill out the AW survey about the release flows at the after party, here is the online version (originally posted by RiverWrangler in the Bailey Fest thread):

N. Fork S. Platte Release Survey 2010

Great weekend, now time for some sleep!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I took the survey. Please take a few minutes and fill it out. I'm interested in what folks have to say about the flows.

If you would have asked me before Bailey Fest, I would have said 600-800 cfs would be great for a release. Upon further reflection 350-400 is a much better flow for first timers, and also keeps supermax in the managable flow range. I think the 350-400 range works out well for a release.

Thanks for helping out...

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
For me, personally, 350 was a great level, and I think it was a good introductory level for those who hadn't boated it before. I only boat class V a few times a year, though, and I can see where the folks who boat Bailey & other more difficult runs frequently would like to have seen 600+.

I think what would be ideal from a boating perspective would be to have it at 350 on Saturday so that more boaters could join in the fun, then kick it up to 600+ on Sunday for the more advanced boaters. That would also allow for some more challenging intermediate/beginner runs on Foxton Sunday.

Perhaps that would be more difficult to arrange with DW, but it would be cool if we could get it done.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #4
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
As someone who has run it at all kinds of levels from 150 to 1000 cfs over the last 30 yrs and has notched maybe a couple dozen Super Max decents (probably lame compared to some these days), I'd say 325 is an especially inviting level. Not only because you can slice and dice Super Max, just like Dave Frank's run posted in video on the other thread, but because you can probably do first fall in 4 falls, too. Making for a no portage decent. I wasn't there for Saturday and don't know if anyone was running the first fall, but at 400 on Sunday it was not an inviting looking drop. All I can say is that a no portage decent of Bailey is an especially enjoyable feeling. Which, for and advertised draw of many people to an event, I think it should be.

As far as dialing it up for the second day, I wonder how many will be exhausted the second day and surprised after being enticed by it the day before? It should probably come with a posted warning as to the specific flows and difficulties each day. Higher is basically harder there.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Foxton could have used more water. We got hung up on a lot of rocks (at least a dozen times).
raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I was unable to complete the survey because when it asked what type of craft I usually paddle, I tried to put in Inflatable kayak. It has an option for "other", but it doesn't actually let you select it. I could have just selected kayak, but that's not really correct.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #7
Foxton was fine. If you thought there were too many rocks, you are spoiled. Go to a man made park instead.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #8
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
@basil: I believe the point of the survey was to get everyone's opinions, not just yours. I can only compare Foxton to runs of similar difficulty that I have done. Ie. Brown's Canyon at 650cfs, Lower Mishawaka at 450cfs, and Bridges at 450cfs. Compared to those runs Foxton at 360cfs was much bonier and resulted in a lot more getting stuck on rocks.

raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote