Old 07-12-2010   #11
Indian Hills
Sweet! Going to try to make it.

I have not run Bailey yet but hope to get on it soon. I live up 285 if anyone is going in the next couple of weeks, let me know if you want to show me some lines.

Thanks Ian!

With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Nice job Ian. Getting a recreational release on the Platte is a great step towards providing a quality off season boating option. I'm looking forward to it. It's great to see Denver Water taking an interest in enhancing whitewater opportunities.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #13
Roxborough, Colorado
Is the water going to be stored any place (Chatfield or Stronia) or will it all be sent down river? Is there any chance the water would make it to the Union Chutes?
Powderpinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The water for this release won't make it to union chutes. The water that gets put in the north fork south platte goes into strontia, and then into the tubes that bring the water to denver for daily water needs. Strontia really isn't big enough for much storage and its used more as a forebay to buffer fluctuations in flow. Basically all the water that is going down the north fork is getting used by denver water for municipal and agricultural water demand.

Bailey has been flowing great lately. Hope a bunch of folks are getting it while its good.

Looking forward to the release weekend and party. Tell your buddies and rally for a late season party on a colorado classic run. Bailey Fest!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #15
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Ian, thanks for the work, the platte canyon chamber of commerce is putting money into a formal putin at the ATF park, by suds laundromat. Park there, or at the coney or at sweet fanny adams(above sweet 15'slide falls) or get shuttled, or hitch n huck, im sure there will be plenty of rides, no room for me though Please outdo yourselves as river stewards, and help me tote out all the resident hobo trash, (Yes, some of you internet boaters are hobo trashers too) besides, the bum plastic booze bottles add floatation and karma points with the river gods.(not enough space in kpin=need to drive SUV) Someone lost a deli xpress at supermax, mmm, delicious. Have a great time, but try to if possible uplift ourselves and others to a higher level of stewardship, ethics, enlightenment. I know its difficult, but try to lead by example, it is just as bad to walk by trash as to toss it there yourself. Thanks to the guys that played riverloggers last week, way better than the left skinny sneak I made with my rocksaw. I love it here and paddle whenever the faucet running aligns with my schedule, I will paddle with you if your not a citiot, and you have a cool head, still havent paddled with a single mtn buzzard internet boater, except on accident. Please be all you can be, GO JOE.
"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #16
Denver, Colorado
Bumping the event reminder, and also wanted to note that rains like we had this week cause denver water to shut down the tunnel. If by chance we get big rains in the south platte basin during the weekend of the release event, it could cause the event to be canceled. Denver Water wants to make sure everyone understands that rain is a potential limitation of scheduling an event and could cause flows to be canceled. If the event does get canceled, Denver Water has agreed to try for a later date, most likely labor day weekend.

Looking forward to some more bailey runs...
Old 07-22-2010   #17
Indian Hills, Colorado
woot woot!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #18
ian this is great you get my vote for colorado paddler of the year.

What do you think the chances are that we could arrange future planned releases on either the south platte or the big thompson in the fall. It seems to me, especially with the big thompson, that if they lowered the daily release through the week there would be plenty of water for the weekends. If all the water is going to end up in reservoirs anyway it shouldn't matter if it comes all at once or slowly over the course of a week right.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #19
Denver, Colorado
Thanks Brian!

As for the chances of future planned releases on the south platte or big T in the fall... Thats a tough one. The south platte system typically doesn't deliver enough water into late september / october to get enough water in bailey. It happens every once in a while for a variety of reasons, but its a tough one to schedule. I chose august as the timing for the release proposal because its typically the time of year when water transfers through the tunnel are highest. Denver can't pull the water over if they don't need it, so they can't just crank up the tunnel to 800 cfs for a weekend if they only need 300 to meet demand. If the north fork release this year goes well, it could set us up for an annual event. We'll wait and see what the outcome of this one is.

The big T is complicated. I actually met with Kara Lamb and Andrew, the team lead for water scheduling today to discuss opportunities for big T releases. The major obstacle on the big T is power generation. Water from lake estes is typically run through the olympus tunnel through a couple of hydropower plants to generate electricity, and then dumps into reservoirs on the front range. If you run water from lake estes through the big T river channel, the power generation is lost. Power generation on the colorado big T project generated $90 million dollars of revenue last year, thats an average of $250,000 per day in power revenue (I was amazed at how much this was). A proposal to allow 30-40 guys to go paddling on the big T one saturday in the fall that would cost the bureau of reclamation hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue is pretty much a non starter for the BOR (I asked about it though). I also explored the angle of planned outages and maintenance to the power generation equipment, but they have enough redundancy and capacity in the system that they can typically do the maintenance without having to put water in the river. To them, water in the river is money down the drain. When the big T runs, its either because the power generation system has broken down, like the huge year in 2008, or when the runoff from the big T above lake estes is well above the oylmpus tunnel capacity, like this year when the big T above lake estes was flowing 1500 cfs and the tunnel could only take 550. The olympus tunnel can take 550 cfs, but on average the big T above lake estes doesn't get much above 600 cfs, leaving pretty much no extra water to put in the river. The big T does have minimum streamflow requirements for fish habitat, which is 125 cfs in the summer and lower flows in the shoulder seasons. I'm still trying to figure out the angle that could get us releases on the big T, but after putting a lot of thought into it, and spending some time talking to Kara and the folks that run the big T, I don't see a good angle yet that could get releases in the fall. I'm going to continue working on the Big T though, as I think its a big opportunity.

I've got a few other ideas around recreational in channel diversions, but thats a thorny issue as well.

Also the thought that if all the water ends up in reservoirs it doesn't matter if it gets there all at once or over the course of a week doesn't really hold true. One reason is that there isn't enough storage to do that. The water folks typically bring over the volumes they need on a daily basis, and can't feasibly bring over a lot of extra volume and turn if off later. There are also limitations on flow changes for fish habitat and other operational concerns to worry about. Basically there are lots of boundary conditions on the system that make it tough to get the releases to work.

There are a lot more details, if anyone is interested, I can send you information about the south platte or the big T, PM me if you want.
Old 07-23-2010   #20
Denver, Colorado
Who can show up with a van and a trailer to run shuttles? I love the idea of the release but its not exactly a large put in...Im thinking we bring a big truck or van and trailer to shuttle, who wants to be the bunny?

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote