Old 05-04-2011   #1
the fort, Colorado
NF Poudre

Last year the DOW opened the gate to Halligan Reservoir on May 4th, anyone been up that way to see what the flows are doin or if the gate is open yet?? Wanna fire it up as soon as we get some water in there. Let me know

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #2
the fort, Colorado
gates gotta be open, anyone seen some water in there?

Old 05-10-2011   #3
If you're talking about the NF from Halligan to Seaman there is a gage near Livermore. USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06751490 NORTH FORK CACHE LA POUDRE RIVER AT LIVERMORE, CO There is 20 cfs so it's not going yet.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #4
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think he means Upper N. Fork since he's asking about the gate to Halligan which is the take-out for the Upper N. Fork run...

Its visual as there is no gauge but...when Halligan Res is full the outflow from Halligan should = the water in the Upper N. Fork. Not sure how you can tell if Halligan is full except when you start to see the daily ebb and flow fluctuations indicating that the gauge is measuring snowmelt and not reservoir release.

Here is the gauge for the Halligan res outflow:
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Gonna need quite a bit more hot weather to get that thing close to comfortable.

And does anybody know what the access is like? I know the landowner was not happy with all the people last couple seasons...i'm sure he'd prefer you to hike in versus using his yard. F'ing people using it as a toilet.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #6
the fort, Colorado
Not sure about the landowners at the put in, but i was fishing back in there earlier this spring and noticed one of the landowners has strung up a deadly looking barbedwire strainer that i had not remembered seeing or passing under in previous seasons. it's river wide and stretches 3-4ft above the river level but has multiple deadman's hanging down all the way to the streambed. This is on the section between the waterfall and the reservoir, where things start to open up and the river slows down so watch out. This thing could be deadly if completely submerged at high flows