Old 12-28-2006   #1
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
News Years resolution and a look back at 06.

I thought I would entertain myself by starting this thread.

07 predictions:
1.) Someone will make a small comment about Texas and a civil war of words will erupt.
2.) Someone will post information on the M wave and the five people who live in Montrose will tell us to respect the farmer. (Yes, my parents live there)
3.) All of the boat manufactures will come out with revolutionary new boat designs which will be slightly shorter, with flat bottoms which will radically reshape the industry. Sea kayaks and sit on tops will still be the stores best sellers.
4.) Some republicans will post a political thread. Some Democrats will tell them that all boaters are Democrats and a war of words will erupt.
5.) Someone will get busted at a take out, put in or on their way to or from the river. There will be a thread about how boaters are profiled, and sixty boaters will tell a story about how they also got busted by the same police force. We will all say this is a civil injustice while not making the connection that it appears that all of us seem to have something illegal whenever we get pulled over.
6.) Toa Berman will run something impressive. Hundreds of less photogenic boaters will run some amazing stuff and go unnoticed.
7.) I will sneak in to the outdoor retailer show and get kicked out after an hour of checking out boats without the proper credentials
8.) My three year old will get more ski days than me. Current score 8-3 with Josh in the lead.
9.) One of us will pass away on the river. Some idiot will write a thread questioning their judgment and their safety while thumping themselves on the chest about how this needs to be discussed.
10.) I will not spend enough days on the water or in the backcountry. Every day I am there, I will swear I will be there more.
11.) I will be disappointed at the anecdotes of some young pup in a play park, and swear I won't go back, only to be back 4 weeks later. (When did smack talk become such a part of boating?)
12.) Someone will post a thread on the Front Range v West Slope as the best place to live. A good fight will develop and keep us entertained.
13.) I will come to this site a couple times every day to live vicariously through others.

06 highlights:
1.) The Texas fights were funny at the start.
2.) Brooke died. Thank you all for the support you showed my family, and to all of you who were her friends. It is funny how a pet becomes so much a part of so many peoples lives.
3.) Utah backcountry every night after I got the kids to bed. Man, we had some serious snow last year!!
4.) Drunken nights on the river with old friends and new acquaintances. I so rarely get to let my hair down now days.
5.) Birth of Noah. Until you've experienced parenthood, you won't understand.

See you in 07!!

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #2
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I forgot one that's too good to pass up.

under 07 predictions:
Riot will hire some local talent to walk around their boats while slightly dressed at the OR show. God bless them, they understand marketing to the 15-25 year old male.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote