Old 05-07-2007   #1
Newbie Question about Paco Pads...

Hi, are Paco Pads worth the money?

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #2
Paco Pads are a pretty nice. Try looking for a used one, they come up here evey now and then.

madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3
Every penny.....
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #4
Thanks for the replies.

How durable are they? And I assume that if I get one I may as well get the Grande, correct?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
They're great to have but a little on the heavy and bulky side. Paco Pads are really plush and there are several companies that make different types. Look for one that has the outer skin attached to the inner foam or else it can be like trying to sleep on a long, squishy balloon.

When you pick one out, you may want see if you can borrow one from a friend and give it a "test drive" to try sleeping on it before you throw down for it - a buddy of mine finds his too firm even with the valve open.

If you're on a budget, Therma Rest pads will work pretty well and can be packed more easily into into a bag. I've gone back to a 1.5" Therma-Rest knockoff for quick overnight trips when I don't want to lug a lot of gear around.

If you get one, keep it away from thorns and put preventive patches on the corners where the material comes together and is welded - that's where the first & worst wear spots appear and leak.

good luck!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #6
they are great for car camping or river trips with raft support - they are very durable - they do not insulate as well as a therma rest or similar pad so it is good to throw a thermarest on top when winter camping - but they are extremely comfortable -
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #7
Gnarnia, Colorado
Paco pads are the shit. They're super comfortable, they provide great padding over coolers and dry boxes, they give your raft crew nice places to chill on the raft, they insulate your cooler making your ice last much, much longer and they're tough as hell. I would stick with the Paco Pad brand rather than the knock-offs, which I have seen blow out. Do it. You won't regret it.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #8
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Every night you sleep without a Paco pad is one more night you wished you had one. They're worth it!
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #9
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
for sure worth every dime.

they make excellent hole toys while a camp. A nice rapid at your camp? leave the raft tied up, and run it on your Paco. turns an average rapid into instant "gnar"
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #10
once you go "jack", you will never go back!!!

freeboatin is offline   Reply With Quote