Old 04-11-2013   #1
Columbus, Georgia
Newbie looking to get into playboating

Hello all,
I recently discovered playboating and it looks like something I think I want to pursue. I've already started looking for options in my area for basic classes to get you comfortable in the water with your boat and plan on taking a few of those to make sure this is something I want to pursue. But, knowing my addictive personality toward water activites I don't think that's going to be a problem. I've also started looking at beginner boats and gear for playboating and am really liking the sound of the jackson fun series. I'm looking for any imput to point this newbie in the right direction to get into this awesome looking sport!

HR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The Jackson Fun is for river play. Check out the Star and Rock Star series for park-n-play. Take the class and demo different boats before you buy a boat. Get after it!

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #3
Columbus, Georgia
I read about the rockstar line on the jackson website and it said intermediate and expert level. Do you think i could start out on that one having never done this before. Im going to go talk to the people at my local kayak shop today, bit im still looking for input all around!
Old 04-12-2013   #4
Kayak & SUP Lessons
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
with quality instruction . . .

Hi Rae,

We realize you are in Georgia, and we are here in lovely Durango, Colorado, but we still figured we would offer you some friendly advise. In the event that you find yourself traveling this way, look us up. We would love to get you out surfing some river features on the Animas. It is our opinion at that if your goals in kayaking involve freestyle and surfing you should go ahead and get into a high quality play boat that fits you correctly to start learning the basics (including the roll). Kayaking takes some motivation to get going, and a certain amount of the 'stick with it' attitude. If you go ahead and try a couple of lessons with quality instructors, you will have much more initial success in the sport and will be much more likely to continue on with it. Having a boat that fits you comfortably and that excites you to get in and get going is going to help with that motivation. We would recommend that you try the new all-star series from Jackson kayaks, as it is not only a great freestyle boat but also more forgiving on its initial stability and overall river running qualities, as well as being easier to roll than the Rockstar. Definitely find some quality instruction though. Hope this helps, and good luck getting started!
SSJ LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #5
Columbus is the New Ottowa! look at their rowdy "playpark"
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #6
Columbus, Georgia
That's actually the video that inspired me to check into all of this! I used to be an avid skydiver, but because life got in the way I kind of got out of the sport. Now since they've opened the whole whitewater deal down here in columbus, I'm looking for something outdoorsy and adrenaline filled that's right in my back yard to fill that hole skydiving left. I'm hoping this is my sport.
Old 04-12-2013   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The RockStar is an expert play boat and will flip you more. I paddle a Project X which is a fine boat too.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #8
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Buy a high quality, comfortable PFD and a good helmet.
Buy a good paddle.

Borrow a friend's old river runner kayak (old, not ancient ) and get on the water. Learn to roll, find your edges and balance and have fun for a few weeks or a month (assuming you'll be doing it frequently) just being on the water. Start demoing playboats.

Your skills will progress VERY rapidly your first year. A boat that will feel edgy at first will feel awesome at the end of the season--so buying something radical and starting in it is going to be frustrating. Buying something boring is going to help you learn faster--but you'll never use it again once your skills outgrow it. Borrow your first boat, buy used your 2nd, buy the exact new boat you want for your 3rd.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #9
Boise, Idaho
That's a sweet, gnarly hole!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #10
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get the smallest boat you can fit into UNcomfortably. If you start out with a playboat that is roomy and comfortable, your learning curve will be much bigger. I made that mistake starting out. Jackson makes the best playboats (rockstar, allstar), hands down. Rockstar pops a little better, but allstar is easier to learn in. Jackson pioneered the playboat design, everyone else is copying. truth.

justin.payne is offline   Reply With Quote