Old 04-09-2013   #1
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
newbie, I bought a jackson Rogue 10'

Salutations all. I just bought a new boat, jackson rogue, and plan to start using it for river and lake. I'm quite adventurous and wanted a boat that can introduce me to some good whitewater but allow me to take it on the lake and cast a line when I'm in good fishing area. Also bought a helmet, pfd and got a score on a werner player paddle on CL. have a couple questions, does anyone have good ideas on how to mount my kayak to a 2 door jeep jk? I don't have any sort of roof rack and its a hard top. 2nd question, what's a good place to start in the river? Suggestions on a good book with river info so my buddy and I can set up weekend adventures?

wytewaterwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Yo willy... You are super fired up. The rogue 10 is an awesome boat and will get you into all types of great places in and around Colorado. I don't own or know much about jeeps, but there are many options for using your roof. Obvious answers are to get a Thule or Yakima rack, but if $'s are an issue, there are foam block types w cam straps that work OK.
There are so many rivers around that are perfect for the rogue. Do you have a roll? If not, it's always a good idea to get that down, but not critical to start enjoying you new adventure craft. Start in really mild moving water (class 1) or lakes. Don't know where you are located, but around boulder, you can check out gross reservoir, or boulder rez, or even horse tooth to get started. Moving into rivers, i would suggest the pump house section of the Colorado as a great next step. Along with mild sections of the Yampa. Also certain sections of the Arkansas, Gunnison, Taylor are great options as well. One of the better is the grizzly section of the Colorado just below the Shoshone section (you put in at the takeout of Shoshone and paddle into glenwood, warm up in the hot springs and grab a beer to wrap up a great day!!!)
As your skills develop, just know that you have the perfect craft for self support overnight kayak trips! With a great roll and a couple (2-3) years experience, you could consider tackling the Grand Canyon. There are many stories online of the rogues (and other crossover kayaks) that can share how to pack for overnighters and there is no shortage of options to get out and have a great adventure.
Kayaking on rivers is amazing. It requires that you develop skills as you attempt harder water, but you can start easy and work your way up! Look into a roll class soon though. It makes the whole experience a LOT more fun to know you can right yourself instead of swimming every time.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #3
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You'll find more info on a Jeep site on mounting racks--try Toss the forum owner Lance over there a :flipoff2: for me.

To get started, leave the back gate open, lower your back and passenger seats and just stuff it inside. Hit the water!!!!

Beyond that, check out a Yakima or Thule retailer for the right mounts and clips. They are $$, but so is your new Jeep. Foam blocks and cam straps work if there's a chance you'll be changing rigs or hauling your boat on someone else's rig. They are very inconvenient for frequent loading/unloading. A Yak or Thule rack with a kayak stacker (vertical bar) is the way to go. When you start running rivers, you'll need to shuttle others. It will be nice to have the ability to haul 4 boats on top when you can haul four paddlers inside. (no, the JK doesn't have much back seat legroom, but we all willingly suffer on shuttle runs to get to the rio!)

Awesome to hear that your buddy is also into it. Whitewater kayaking is a very social activity--and there is safety in numbers. Consider taking a swiftwater rescue class, too. Not only will you learn a ton more about safety, it will also teach you more about river hydraulics--that will also make you a better boater.

Welcome to the addiction!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #4
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Posts: 655 is the place for all things Wrangler, and Jeep for that matter. There are body mount racks that you can still use while the top is off it you so desire. Jeeps are their own addiction!
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
wytewaterwilly - We are a new partner with Mountainbuzz and can help you out with getting that kayak up on your roof. We have a couple locations in the Denver area and also offer installation. Mention you spoke to us on the forum for 15% off most Yakima or Thule product.

As far as a good place to learn, I liked practicing on the platte river up near Deckers, as long as it's flowing it's a mostly class I, II water with the exception of the chute section which is class III. I always check for water flow and class of river info.

Rack Attack Denver
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Congo cage or similar is the best way to get kayaks on a JK. You probably want one that can pivot up, allowing the hard top to come off without unscrewing the rack.

I was going to get one of these, but instead I got rid of the jeep and now weep daily.
Kargo Master 5034-1 - Kargo Master Congo Cage for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

I've seem racks attached to the rain gutters on hard tops, but I think it was on an unlimited. On a 2door they would be too close together.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #7
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
+1 on Rackattack. They know their stuff.

Rogue is an awesome boat and IMO the best of all the crossovers. a lot of that for me is the super comfy Jackson outfitting, especially the backband.

I've had one out on a lake in 20 kt. (G35) winds and 2-2.5 ft. short-fetch chop and it was a hoot! Paddle it right and you can get a little downwind surfing in those conditions. What impressed me the most compared to the LL Remix XP and Pyrana Fusion (both of which I owned and paddled a lot for a while) is:

In lake chop like above if yo want to take a rest, you can park the boat broadside to the wind and it'll pretty much stay there without weather or lee cocking. Yeah, you bob a bit, but you also don't have to fight boat & wind every second like the others. Especially in an unladen boat. Not sure how that would change if you load it up, but if you're careful about keeping cargo trim even it should be perhaps better due to lower CG.

Slogging upwind in those condition was hugely easier than in the other hybrids. Again less cocking plus better tracking with skeg down, primarily because the fin dropped deeper than the others.

You might find some of the web articles on boat trim interesting. And definitely read posts about expedition packing that The Craw suggests. There's some good ones at " in the Rogue and Journey sections and also over at the LiquidLogic site. And then go play with trimming the skeg. There's more to flatwater paddling than just going from A to B, IMO. he Rogue wold be fun to sail, too. If ou want to learn about deepwater rescues, there's a lot out there,some of the best at Wayne Horodovitch's Universiy of Sea Kayaking site. Get out on the flats in winds and you'll learn a lot about boat handling & control

Other advantages IMO: 1) it's easier to carry for me. Balances better on my shoulder. 2)I thought the skeg control was the easiest of all three and the best at setting between full up and full down. And those subtle differences will become noticeable and more useful as you learn the boat.

The aft hatch was the best because it didn't take Godzilla like the Pyrana, and was more durable than the LL. Surprisingly, I had no leakage on that bouncy day above. I suggest keeping it (and the entire boat) treated every month or more with 303.

If you get into deep water self rescues (which you should unless you get a reliable roll the Rogue seemed the easiest to get back into the cockpit. If you do flatwater a lot, consider a pump and definitely float bags. The Rogue will hold a lot of water if you capsize. Bags ate a must for WW. Skirt is good not only for WW but also rough days on the flat.

Have fun. You're going to love it. if you're ever over WestSlope way and looking for good river/pond fishing send me a PM. We've got a super C1-II fish float here.

A rod holder might be something to consider if you fish enough and don't have a Popeil, and definitely a paddle park. (Suggest a leash, too for flatwater)

A Rogue is on my wishlist, too. What color did you get? The Rogue is also a good workout boat.'s a blast!
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #9
thornton, Colorado
Thanks for the overwhelming amount of replies. I actually am big into the jeep scene already and feel like I've seen it all when it comes to jeep parts. Thats why I was lookin for a unique setup that would be cost efficient. (Like everything else in this sport, even the racks will bend you over!) I have not yet mastered a roll, got out on the river at the golden play park for my first time this Saturday. It was amazing! Practiced a few rolls and even swam a couple times. Thanks for all your guys' help thus far! I'm definitely hooked
Old 04-14-2013   #10
thornton, Colorado
Hey BCxp, what have you to say about the boat on river water? I really would like to use it to build some half way decent whitewater skill also.