Old 01-18-2009   #1
Jacksonville, Alabama

I have been fascinated by kayaking (or paddling as you guys call it nowadays) since I was a kid. I have been whitewater rafting and light ww canoeing and have some experience in a kayak. I've decided that I finally want to get a boat of my own for this upcoming season. I am in north alabama so I'm not too far from some really great rivers. I joined this forum because this looked like the best ww forum that I could find and I want to do things right the first time so maybe you guys and gals can help me out with the many questions I am sure to have.

First of all, I need to figure out which boat I need. I want to do river running and I don't have much interest in a playboat at the moment but that may change. My thought is that I need something that is somewhat easy to maneuver, roll, not too slow (so I can practice on flatwater), and that I will be able to keep in the long run for river running. I've looked at the Dagger Nomad and Mamba as well as some other models but I'd love some recommendations for good (and reasonably priced) boats that fit what I am describing. Thanks for reading.

stuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Well dude, There are differant makes and models. Jackson(my best) dagger, wave sport, prijon etc... and models playboat,(playrunners) river runner, creeker.

I have found that a playboat/riverrunner like my superfun lets me have fun in a controlled enviornment but I get my ass kicked in technical pushy water. When I boat my super hero I am confident less play like and more down to business in bigger stuff while I am learning the lines. And the creeker, I am not your guy for this catagory but they move fast and point on a dime, solid boat if you can control them.

Now, all makes have differant outfitting and sizes of model. so the only way to know what boat is for you is to sit in as many makes as possible and try outfitting it for you.
you want to have room to relax on the flat but get tight on the rapids. so a snug dry fit is best. I find as you get more comfortable in your boat you will be forever tightening your outfitting(what was once snug is now loose) so dont buy a lake boat.

I like to rep jackson they have the simplest outfitting foot bag aside and I like there stuff. Others like pyranha and ws. I did too but jackson has the room and volume I need. I am a big guy, little guys will differ on boats,

Welcome to the buzz, prepair to be throttled, And good luck. I own sevral boats, all differant and all fun.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #3
Jacksonville, Alabama
Thanks Bob. I am a bigger guy also. What makes the jacksons good for bigger people? What makes a creeker hard to control?
stuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
creekers are round to displace water off bigger drops, which is displacement. it doesn't have the noticeable edges like a planning hull kayak which helps it carve and continue in a straight line easier.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #5
x, x
Paddling Since: x
yup, what mike said....

That is a good idea of why they can be harder to control, No edge to carve or lean on, no primary stability, great secondary.

Jackson boats are better for bigger guys(all sizes)depending on boat choice simply because the outfitting is right in the boat, it has knee cup shapes and a nice soft thigh pad that is glued to the boat, and its glued so no holes and easy fix if need be. They are wider and more conforming with more overall body connection to the boat from the sinch string backband to the foot bag. I feel you get a solid bond to the boat and not as much pinching in the outtfitting like in other boats. Some will complain about the foot bag and use foam. totaly cool and more solid to push on, but my donkey flip is not what it used to be. this outfitting describes the star and fun series. the heros and rockers have all the same features with the exception of the foot bag, instead they replaced it with a pull cord bulkhead that locks in place and doubles as an ankle/foot protector that will give some in the event of a piton. Another innovative idea putting them on top.

Again that is my take and not all will agree, tall slender and tall big dont always fit the same, so try to atleast sit in 3 makes of the same model and you will see what I mean.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote