Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-23-2012   #1
Herndon, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2012
Newb in a Tube...

Hey Guys...

I am new to the Forum and to Kayaking in general. I live in Northern Virginia. I just picked up Kayaking and I am, well, all in. I just wanted to introduce myself and reach out to the White Water community for advice on starting out. I figure thats what these forums are for.... Learning about others mistakes so you can avoid making them yourself.

Please feel free to post any tips, website, tutorials, classes, posts, forums, or gear that you recommend for starting out and for white Watering in general. Any positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Like I said, I live in Virginia. If there is anyone in there area that would be willing to take a couple of Newbs under wing... please let me know. And if you live in the area and are new to Kayaking like we are... hit me up and maybe we can help each other out. I will be taking classes through Valley Mill Kayak School. I plan on taking there intro to Kayaking and the Swift water rescue course as well. I would like to eventually become a confident and safe White water Kayaker who knows his limits and how to test them. There is all types of boating here in my area. The 3 major types of riding I am looking to get into is River running, Play boating and creeking. I will be picking up a Jackson Villon over the next couple of weeks. I think this will be a great beginner boat but if you disagree or have a better recommendation, please let me know. Also, any and all gear recombination are appreciated as well.

Some things about me...
6' 1"
200 lbs
Right Handed
Strong Swimmer
CPR certed

I am looking forward to you posts and becoming a member of the Kayak community. Thanks for reading......

Wookie Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #2
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm watching you wookie.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #3
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Wookies are naturally territorial, I am simply taking you as a threat to my many mating partners. Mainly female raft guides.

Anyways here is a good site with Virginia runs and flows.
American Whitewater - VA State Rivers

The classes are a good choice and will put you in the right direction. I'm not sure many Virginia boaters browse this forum. I wish I could tell you which forum is better for the east but I'm not sure. Still lots of good information here though.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #4
Herndon, Virginia
laugh it up fuzzball....

I am an east coast Wookie. I dont think our breeding ground overlap.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out for sure. Water levels and understanding river conditions is one of the things that intimidate me the most about getting into this sport. It is super crucial and not something that can be learned over night or from a book.

I am on boatertalk.com as well. It doesnt seem to be as active as this site but it has a good classified section for the east coast.

As far as classes go... Ya, I think its the way to go. There is a huge learning curve with Kayaking and I am starting out kinda late. So the classes will be a big help. Like I said... Im taking the Into to White water, Swift water rescue, roll pool sessions, and eventually, a couple playboat lessons.

As far as gear goes... I am a Downhill Mountain Biker so I come from a sport where having good and the right gear makes all the difference. So as I pick up new gear I am trying to get the right stuff first . I feel progression will come faster when you have the right equipment for the job.

Thanks for the incite and please keep it coming....
Old 03-26-2012   #5
Herndon, Virginia

What knots are beneficial to have down? Specifically...

What knots is best to tie strap webbing together?

What knot is best to attach wedding to rope?

Do you prefer sewn straps versus tied?
Old 03-26-2012   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
First and foremost, you need to go out and find some boater friends, ASAP! Hang out by the put-in or take-out, or better yet, go to the sleeziest, most run down bar in town and you are sure to find at least three kayakers there.

Some basic knots to know:

Figure 8 follow through
Figure 8 on a bite
Double half-hitch (prussik)
Clove hitch
Trucker's hitch
Water Knot (webbing)

You want to use straps with buckles that are sewn on! You shouldn't ever have to tie webbing to a rope...I don't imagine it would tie well together. For tying webbing to webbing, use the water knot. For rope on rope, use the double half hitch.

again, go find boater friends. They will become invaluable to your kayaking career.
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #7
Columbus, Indiana
On getting boater friends:

I've come to find that boaters are the nicest people of any sport, and I've done quite a few. They don't tend to look down on you having old junk gear if you can't afford the nicest newest stuff like road bikers do. And they are super friendly to people who are new to the sport. The vast majority seem to want to help you be a better boater.

Also.....We like beer.

On safety and gear:
-Always paddle whitewater with a helmet and PFD
-Never paddle whitewater alone

Welcome. Hopefully we'll see you out there on the river some day.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #8
Herndon, Virginia
Thanks guys...

boone... Thanks for the info on knots. Those are a good to know for sure. LOL, I am working on getting some boater friends. I just need to become a boater first.

Seedubs... I am finding out what you say is true. The Kayak community is completely different from the bro'd out world of Mountain Biking and Snowboarding. It seems like the main concerns with experienced boaters is Fun, Safety, and Progression. Most people i have encountered are friendly, helpful, and sincere.

Thanks for the good advice. I will take it to heart for sure.