Old 09-30-2009   #1
Sunrise, Australia
New Zealand Boating

Im planning to go to Rotorua for a while and make my way to Queenstown from end of Dec to end of Jan.

I was wondering if anybody new where to stay. Im also looking for a kayak school where I can go in Rotorua to get my dust out of my shoulders for a couple of days and then carry on.

If somebody is planning this too let me know and we can catch up somewhere.

lurocav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #2
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

I was there about the same time last year.
The place is sweet and you have to run the Okere falls on the Kiatuna, it such a sweet place.
There is are many company's in the area to get hooked up with gear.
We had also rented a van while traveling in N. Z., so i don't know of to many places to stay.
If you do go watch your gear carefully!!!, we heard some bad stories but we had good times.

goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #3
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
We spent a month over there last year, too. Camping is good at the caravan parks, pretty cheap. We stayed at the Thistle in Christchurch, if you end up there.

We rented a car and just drove around the south island, car camping at these caravan parks where there are kitchens and hot showers and good tent sites.

Much better than car camping in USA we thought.
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #4
Professional Transient, See above.
DOC camping

I agree with the above posts- staying at lots of DOC camps is the cheapest way to see the place. Small fees, though only certain camps are patrolled. This method does require renting or buying a car/van to live out of. Vans are nice, as lots of the bugs on the south island are horrendous. If you search around, one can typically find an outfitted van off someone trying to leave the country. Prices can be super cheap. Make sure it is still current with all it's paperwork- they need to have inspections every 6 months or so and they take this seriously.

As far as camping gear (and the smaller items of boating gear)- SHIP ALL OF IT THERE! The gear is ridiculously expensive in Kiwi land. Not sure about prices to rent stuff since I shipped it there or purchased it while there.

The Hokitika area has some absolutely amazing boating on the south island (21ft of rain a year), though most of it is in the class V realm. There is some good boating on the north island, though I much preferred the south island.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote