View Poll Results: Should the government have more or less control?
Yes 2 28.57%
No 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2006   #11
Thanks for the heads up, better to show up at the put in without "surprises"

WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #12
Originally Posted by double-a-ron
my dear son mike a-

actually tax cuts at the fed level do have an impact. because of fed tax cuts, many programs have now had their funding passed on to the state level. this pressures state legislatures to come up with creative funding (such as hidden fees) to supply necessary expenditures. not only that but as cuts are made (on all levels) the future expenditures are multiplied exponentially. for example, lets create a situation where education funding is cut. what are the ramifications? you guessed it, prison funding must go up, bankruptures need to be funded, health costs rise, police and insurance costs rise from crime, homeless shelters need more funding, less technology advancement, jobs head overseas, the same tax cut creates deficits which are more expensive for future generations, ect. ect. all for a few saved bucks.....yes i've heard the more money in my pocket, more money to invest, trickle down theory. it sounds good on the face until it falls flat on that same face.......

back to the topic, should children be charged the ten bucks? what about when the funding is cut to the point where it becomes a 100 dollars, maybe we should outsource the care for our parks and let some "more efficient" company profit from them? even better, only those that can afford it should be able to go to school, toll roads everywhere, assumed guilty until you can pay for a fair trail, military/fire/police protection but only if your check doesn't bounce.........

Are you serious? I didn't know that a tax cut had such ramifications!! My insurance went up, less police, and I might lose my job overseas! Seriously, though, come back to the real world, Aaron. The feds pay something like 8% of state school funding, and it is mostly for special projects. The local folks pay for school funding (some states are looking at turning away fed funding all together b/c it costs more money to appease the feds than they are giving). And, btw, fed school funding is at record levels, and increased this year at a record level I read somewhere (so perhaps I won't lose my job, and we should all be able to look forward to lower health care costs, right Aaron?). We also pay our way with prisons. We also pay for our own police. Fed highway dollars are real, and flexible. So of you can tell me the many progams that have been axed, I will listen. But so far it sounds like alot of bs.

As for the forcasted $100 per person fee, in your world the cost of upkeep is bottomless. In the real world, the correct fee amount will actually balance the cost. When the fee is too high, people will simply recreate elsewhere, lowering usage and thus cost of upkeep, and then finally the fee. Crazy thing these forefathers of ours worked out...

Regarding a private company efficiently running the state land, it is sort of happening in Yellowstone. Xanterra runs all the operations in the park except the policing. Not sure if they are more efficient than the feds, but I wouldn't be surprised. And yet we haven't fallen into a Mad Max scenario quite yet, but I'll be watching from up here.

Again, tough situation. I don't see an easy or fair solution. As mentioned, there are several different agencies in charge. I also pay every year to Fed campgrounds, blm fees, state fees, and buy a Yellowstone pass yearly.

Or, we could do as some here suggest and raise the Federal taxes and see if it pays for our state land. I for one wouldn't hold my breath...

Aaron's dear son

ps I can't believe I've been sucked in and responding to such drivel. It's just tax time, and I'm stuck in the office dealing with this shit. If anyone out there thinks that the feds are doing the right things with our money then they are seriously deluded. The feds ooze money waisted on bs. Buy-offs, pork, you name it. Why do you think the lobbyists are in business. They get a 10-1 return on money (that is, they get payouts to clients with OUR tax money). And this isn't partisan, it is all over the place.

And while I'm up here (on my soap box), I might as well ask why we don't have a federal sales tax in exchange for our busted-ass income tax program. Imagine the savings just for the IRS. Sorry accountants, but I for one could do without!

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote