Old 02-26-2007   #1
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
New TRL movie posted

so this is purty cool.

my boy bryan, our edit-jedi at TRL Outpost Unit BC-1 (TRLOUBC-1, for short), scrambled to hit the submission deadline for the Nat'l Paddling Film Festival after i gave him about a 9-day lead time. we'd been working on some stuff, a BC summer piece, for some time, but he was waaaaay far from a final edit. time to bust a move. so he did. & we got the piece out the door to kentucky in time. turns out his submission to the "accomplished general" category won the category .. & the whole festival! i'm stoked for the guy.

the 12-minute short can be viewed, for free, as usual, at ..

(don't forget to move your curser off the Vimeo taskbar, otherwise the taskbar will remain on the flash player window.)

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #2
dropzone, Colorado

Great vid, well done TRL! I can't wait to watch it w/ some sound (in library).

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #3
Cody, Wyoming
Congrats, the vid is sweet, I look forward to you gettng back out here for some more adventures!

COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Awesome video! The "cot on a zip line" filming technique looks to require as much balls as the drops!

Props to TRL for complete domination... IR vacation to hell, and the NPFF winner, what's next?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
Finally got around to watching this. I love the camera work. Keep brightening my world with the cool stuff you guys do.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #6
Photographer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Great video (and still photos for that matter) should leave the audience wanting more.

I want more! Lots more! More images, more scenery, and a lot more kayakers working to make a difference.

Thanks for sharing.

"You gotta fight for your right to paddle!"
bkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
thanks all!

re the zipline .. i only took a cpl filming trips on the zipline & believe me, it was sketchball .. & my shakey-ass shots were worthless. first of all that's a portaledge like what big-wall climbers use for sleeping on multiday climbs.. the spreader contraption with pulleys was extra-touchy, such that if your weight was too far either fore or aft, it would try to dump you. definitely took some getting used to, especially considering you're holding a couple-thousand $ piece of equipment in one hand &, um, *air* in the other. i can't even begin to impress upon you how hard matt, the dude who rigged for us, worked on those shoots. the filmer would basically have to step off the top of a vertical wall of granite onto the portaledge on the downstream end of the line over a gnarly rapid. then matt & the filmer would balance on the thing & manually pull the contraption hand-over-hand to the top of the long rapid (mind you, that's UPstream so it was climbing uphill) .. then we'd coordinate with the paddlers once the filmer was laying down in position .. then matt would stand, gripping the zipline/cable with his hands (leather gloves), & would control the pace of the zip the whole way down .. over & over & over again for a couple days. plus, getting all that cable strung up was a bear in itself. definitely made for some cool material though.

i've been sitting on a bunch of still images from those weekends. i'll try to get em posted on the blog over the weekend .. but we have water in the rivers right now & i have a new camera/lens outfit to use, so we'll see ..

thanks again for the nice words amigos.

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote