Old 06-04-2013   #1
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
New to whitewater and need some help

Ok so for the past 3 years I have lived at the N.C. coast so the only paddling that I did was flat/tidal waters. Now I have moved to the Mountains in NC and I have wanted to get into whitewater since there are so many rivers to run with in 2 hrs drive. and also since liquid logic is made 5min from the house and pyranha also distribute out of Asheville. The problem that im having is since I haven't done any WW i have no idea what type boat to get. The problem is I want a boat that I can develop my skills but also be versitile. I still have a lot of friends on the coast who i would want to visit and go paddle with. Im afraid that once I get into it im really going to go head first into it and if I get a true WW boat then it will be awful to paddle at the coast. Alternatively if I get a Crossover then i wouldn't be good for WW. Since in my area we have the Green River, Natahala, Ochoee etc. So I'm reaching out for any advice. the boats that im considering are:

Pyranha Fusion
Liquid Logic Remix XP 9

WW/River runner
Pyranha Burn
Liquid Logic Remix 79 or some similar.
(im not against other companies but I like that they are local)

I have paddled the Burn twice on the french broad at slow and low levels. But havent had a chance to paddle any of the other ones. Im leaning towards the fusion as it has a full bulkhead with ww pedigree but i just dont know if it would be the right one. I want to make sure that if im going to buy a boat it will be great.

So I need some guidance or if anyone has had any experience with any of these or any other suggestions would be great.

Thank you all

shortysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #2
Boise, Idaho
It's hard to get a boat that will do both well. I'll lean toward the Remix or the new Remix/Stinger.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #3
Placitas, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
How about a Jackson Fun Runner?
tcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #4
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Remix, support your locals.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #5
Denver, Colorado
I don't know squat about these boats. In my experience with automobiles, bicycles, skis, etc., etc., it is a rare thing indeed for an item designed to accommodate two differing purposes to excel at either. Also, beginner gear just frustrates me and makes me hate the sport. Anymore, I start with mid-grade if at all possible.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #6
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Second the Remix, and the Remix Stinger
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Yea remix
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #8
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Worked selling boats for years in NC.. You need to figure out if you want to really get into WW boating ?
If so buy a real WW boat.. Remix,mamba,burn or whatever fits and rent a boat a t coast
Not knocking xp or fusion but they don't excell at anything.. Only thing they are good at are overnight big water trips ...
Like grand,salmon,Dino out west

MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote