Old 09-15-2005   #1
new to this board

im new to this board and looking to start kayaking. i just moved to flagstaff, Az from san diego, ca and im wanting to get into this sport. i understand that there is the verde river and of course, the grand canyon around here. anyway, i need to buy all of the required gear.... i would like to buy it all used to save money. im just not sure what to buy. any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. what make, model, and size of boat and any other suggestions as far as other gear: pfd, helmet, paddle, skirt etc.... anyway, thanks for any input

nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #2
most people who try this sport don't like it, so A) don't be a sucker and buy a bunch of stuff new, and B) try to find someone who bought all the gear and now wants to be rid of it and is willing to sell it all cheap. Local outdoors stores often have gear for sale posting boards. Any boat you are comfortable in is a fine way to start, especially if it's cheap (under $250), make sure the PFD isn't torn, other than that, buy what you can used, and if you like the gig, replace stuff as you need it. As for AZ paddling, not sure what runs in the desert over there.

cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #3
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd try to find a shop or something that has a roll class and the stuff you can rent/borrow or something and find out if you like being upside down under water in a boat before you buy anything. I've tried to teach a bunch of people how to roll and a)some get it right away b)some take a while but keep trying and eventually get it and c)some poeple freak as soon as they flip over and might never be able to handle it. Try before you buy. I got real lucky a few years back and had a good friend who taught me and had all his old shit that I could borrow. find that guy and you're golden. Roll a few times in a pond or pool, head to an easy run and you are hooked.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #4
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
If you find you do not like being upsdie down in a kayak, try a whitewater canoe!
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #5
Golden, Colorado
Hey nikwho,
If you are a San Diego surfer then I would bet that you are going to like kayaking so I would shop for a boat that you won't need to get rid of after one or two seasons. Both sports are all about finesse in the midst of moving water so I bet you'll dig it.

If I were you I would shop for a used river-running playboat. It is like an all-around, good-for-a-lot-of-stuff boat. Most kayakers keep a quiver of boats for different types of paddling, just like a surfer does: a playboat, a river-running playboat, and a creekboat would be typical. If you get a boat now that will fit into your quiver later then you won't be wasting money.

My river runner is a Pyranha InaZone 232 and I like it a lot. I have a buddy who's river runner is a Riot Booster 55, for example. Check out manufacturer's websites and look for boats that say they are for all-around types of stuff or for river-running or river-running/playboat....descriptions like that.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #6
yeah, im pretty sure im gonna dig it! i've been surfing since i was a wee lad and i've been scuba diving for about six years. im very comfortable in the water! I think they have a pool day here in flagstaff every once in a while. but if not, i could go to the local lake and get acclimated there. My thoughts were to watch a video to get a bbasic idea of what im gonna be doing and go give it hell. one concern i had: when im initially trying the rolling, do i need anyone there in case i cant get up and cant get out? or is it really a concern getting out? im pretty damn sure that im gonna love this sport! so, i want to get something quality that i can use for some time, but i dont want to break the bank untill i have some experience and know exactly what i want! my boss is an outfitter in idaho and has kayaked for 15 years. hes got my pretty hyped on it. im bugging him for info but he doesnt really have time to help me find a boat. he suggested a "big easy" how does that sound? im 6'1" and about 195 lbs.

nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote