Old 12-14-2005   #1
New to the sport

Hey gang, just looking for some advice on a beginner boat. I just took up the sport last summer so I’m really green at this and not looking to dump a ton of cash into it just yet. I barrowed an old dagger white water last year from a friend and although it was a fun boat it was a really tight fit. Any idea's on one that might fit a 6' 160p person?

skiweasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #2
I think a Dagger Outlaw is an awesome beginner boat. It has good volume and length, which makes it stable and easy to roll and really good going down river. But it also has a bit of shape to it so it'll stern squirt (the first play move most people learn) with the best of them, do huge enders (courtesy of the volume), surf, and cartwheel.
It's no surprise that I just happen to have one for sale and would love to get rid of it. Cheap, CHeap, cheap. (303) 809-0483.
Having said that, I wouldn't receomend it if I didn't have a great learning experience in it myself. The first time I endered it I knew that paddling was the sport for me. And the squirts came soon after.
Other possible beginner boats that'll get you down the river and let you play: wavesport EZ, dagger showdown, Liquid Logic Lil' Joe.
Have fun paddling.

duckfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #3
Metro Area, Colorado
My brother bought a used beat up Wavesport X for his first season of boating. It was a great boat for him. It was big enough to run bigger water, but still had limited play ability. I think you should ask yourself how you want your first real season of boating to go. If you don't mind taking a beating or two, hopping into a river-runnig playboat might be a great option. They have enough volume to give you a lot of flexability on different types of water, but are small enough to really allow you to hop into playholes and start your playboating. On top of that, messing around in play parks is a great place to really build your basic skills. An EZG would be a good option but they might be a little tough to locate used since they are still rather new. Hope this helps in your decision. Good luck next season, it will be one you will never forget!

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #4
What you need is my old T-Canyon,a little moldy and a few cob webs ,but other than that she´s cherry!

All kidding aside demo as many as you can at pool sessions or play parks talk to the folks at the paddle shops eg;Confluence or Mtn.Miser if you´re i metro Denver,or whoevers in your town.Good Luck
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #5
Kayaks are like shoes -- get one that fits. To some extent the fit can be changed through custom outfitting with foam. Find a boat manufacturer that works for you. When you sit in it, you will know.

Secondly, buy a boat that you can grow into rather than a "beginner's boat" as your first.

I'm still paddliing my EZ from 5 years ago and can't seem to give it up. It's so comfortable, and it loops and blunts and cartwheels. Take a look at the Wavesport Big EZ -- there should be plenty of those available.
gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #6
You have to paddle a boat to know...

gnarfish is offline   Reply With Quote