Old 08-26-2015   #11
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
From Leeds you could go hop on I-59 and head up to the Nantahalla or the Ocoee, or any of the other great whitewater places a few hours away. they'll have classes and stuff for beginners. I think there are also local canoe clubs (Cahaba Canoe club, Huntsville Canoe Club?) and other groups that you could meet kayakers to hook up with locally to run the Locust Fork, Mulberry Fork, and other rivers with.

At this point, somebody will usually chime in and tell you that MountainBuzz is only a western site, but plenty of Buzzards started off in the Deep South know the rivers down there, and pointers and tips aren't geographically constrained.

Have fun, be safe, and don't go solo!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #12
leeds, Alabama
thanks everyone for the great advice will definitely take it and i have much respect for the river im not going into this with the wrong attitude that could get me hurt and will never go alone we do have alot of good rivers here in alabama just have to hit them in the winter or after a big rain and im also just a few hours from all the good southeast rivers and i know im not from the west but figured it was still a great place for advice and knowledge i could not really find any other kayak forums that had any activity/life left to it

jesse374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #13
Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
Carolina Canoe Club and other club optiosn good option too

NOC being an instructional program is remarkable. And if you can afford it then 5 days some would say is 5 times better than one day. The more repetition you can get the better.

Carolina Canoe Club has a lot of outings. Typically, clubs are more affordable and I think they are an excellent resource for developing kayakers. Usually, they have their outings posted. Nearby Tennessee also has a handful of clubs.

Also, research your nearest big city for weekly roll sessions. Roll sessions can easily compliment your lessons you took or some of the video and book resources previously offered. Sounds like you might be nearest to Asheville, Johnson City or Knoxville. There is often a weekly university pool free roll session. You want that repetition of rolling and river running and rolling and more rivers.

Playboating is great for mastering your combat roll. You can go to a great little hole and learn boat control and be forced upside down in turn forcing you to hit your roll. Your boating and rolls advance super fast this way.

If you ever want to run the New River in WV then send me a message and I'll be happy to work with you.

Keep Kayaking.
Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #14
Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Originally Posted by jesse374 View Post
im not going into this with the wrong attitude that could get me hurt and will never go alone we do have alot of good rivers here
I paddle alone all the time I just make sure to stay in my skill range. I've also noticed I take less risk while alone.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I saw this paddle float thingy the other day. I was thinking that I might get one for myself!
That is pretty rad......

Riko is offline   Reply With Quote