Old 10-12-2013   #1
Tualatin, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
New to Kayaking

Hi, I've gone on a few whitewater rafting trips that have led me to now pursue kayaking. Tomorrow morning I'm going out with a friend who has been kayaking for years and was wondering if you guys had any pointers? I've done basic maneuvers and am pretty comfortable in a kayak, but tomorrow we're starting to work on the roll. Any help would be awesome, thank you

samcdowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
EJ's Rolling and Bracing DVD and going out on my own to learn is what ultimately did it for me.

Expect to wear out quickly learning and training the hipsnap. The roll really comes down to two parts, brace and hipsnap.

Don't be disheartened if you don't roll right away. As long as you continue to train your hipsnap, you'll get it and when you eventually do, the more hipsnaps you've done in the meantime, the more reliable your roll will be in the long run. It's like the wax-on wax-ff of rolling!

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Go to a pool

Developing bad biomechanics is what makes the roll difficult. Trying to undo what's been done is harder than learning it right in the first place. Start in a warm pool with someone who teaches kayaking. Several pool sessions where you don't worry about the water temp is what you need. Cold moving water is not the place to start.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Make sure you are having fun really work on technique from the start, figure eights with power stroked on the insides, also work on a little edge control it should help with rolling in the long run. And paddling straight without the back of the kayak doing any wagging motion. If the back of your boat looks like a dogs tail you gotta maybe move strokes farther forward. A lot of people misinterpret the fact that running hard whitewater isn't what makes you a good boater so practice up and have fun broseph
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote