Old 04-22-2005   #1
New to kayaking.

So new in fact...
I've been reading old posts on here for about 3 hours. Kayaking is not what it was when I was a kid. It has so many more levels now. I don't even know where to start. I started out thinking meandering down the Colorado over a couple days. Now, after the pics and posts, I want the action too.
My course will probably be what Jon of Confluence Kayaks recommended. Try out different boats, take some classes, read, watch instructional vids, etc.
The point of this post is to say howdy y'all and any advice for a beginner is welcome and appreciated.

shmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #2
Newboater too

Good idea to listen to Jon and Don they know their stuff and real friendly too, Join CWWA they have fun tips all year and so does the Pikes Peak club out of Publeo.
I think you'll have a great time with this I know I am even on the smaller flows that keep the Big boys inside watchin videos.
See you out there !!!

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #3
Boulder, Colorado
CWWA training camp

If you go to and look at the CWWA Training camp, that would be a great way to get started in the sport. You have to get your boat elsewhere (rent one), but I definitely recommend going to training camp. I'm going too!

It's a 2 day training, and I assume you will probably spend the first day (or part of the first day) on flatwater just getting used to maneuvering the boat, flipping over, wet exiting, and rolling. You will probably go on a really easy section of river next, learning how to maneuver your boat in the rapids.

Definitely take a lesson regardless. It's really important to make sure you have a good foundation, because if you start on a river that's too hard, you may hate it and never want to go again (that happened to me!!!! So I know! luckily I stuck with it ). I assume confluence does lessons, and boulder outdoor center in Boulder ( has a good kayak school too.

The good thing about the training camp is that CWWA also has lots of group trips for people of all skill levels. So you can go on those too after you join CWWA

See you on the river!
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
pnw, Washington
PPWC is out of Colorado Springs and yes we have many beginner trips planned and would love to have you.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote