Old 05-02-2006   #11
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Definately not..just look up. It's already rock.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
I talked to a guy last wed who hiked Pike's Peak. He said he was postholing almost to his waist near the top and there was plenty of snow.

pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #13
pnw, Washington
If you dont look up there and see the peak covered with snow then its really not that much.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #14
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by cayo
If your'e talkin' 'bout Beaver Crk. there was an aborted 1ST d that resulted in helicopter rescue.There may be a lower section that is more reasonable.
i hiked down that creek this past fall and that creek looks heinous as shit. there is some good stuff in there yeah, some sweeeeeeet looking spouts and slides, but the majority of it is gnar to the max. i cant believe those guys [the aborted 1st d crew] thought they could do it.

fountain creek from somewhere up by divide down to around manitou has to have something, ive seen that creek rage, and theres good gradient in the area. evryone ive asked about that stretch has told me "watch out for the contamination from co springs", but cant seem to understand im talking about the stretch ABOVE Manitou Spgs, waaaay before the big city. i dunno really. theres a good amount of granite up there, im sure with some exploring somebody could find some short sections of goodness, even with low flow. granite bedrock is good for that.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #15
I recall a post about somebody dropping some falls near Manitou.Yeti how accessible is that creek,could you get at a few drops park/short hike and huck style,just to run a select drop or two,picking a short safer part?Photo op.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #16
meant the accessibility of Beaver,Manitou also.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #17
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Fountain Creek flows are low unless it is flooding from some serious amount of rainfall. Snow melt alone doesn't cut it, there simply isn't that much snow to melt as the area that it drains is not large enough. So for a few hours, maybe even a day or so after a very heavy rainfall there might be enough water to paddle a section at least 50 yards long. The creek is narrow allowing for wood to cause problems. There is a falls (Rainbow Falls) located under a highway bridge at the northwest edge of Manitou Springs. It is about a 15 foot vertical drop with a very narrow entrance and a very shallow landing. If you get a permit to move some boulders such that you can build an elevated rim below the pool, thus raising the level of the pool to more than the 2 foot depth it is now, then you might be able to huck it if you time it with a good downpour. Normal flows are about 10-20cfs. Good luck!

DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote