Mountain Buzz banner

New to Colorado

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  atg200 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just moved to Colorado from Pennsylvania. I worked last summer as a guide on the Lehigh River (lameness), and a few times in Maryland at the new ASCI play park.

I just got into Kayaking last year while I was guiding, but was in my boat almost every day last summer. So I am a rookie for sure, but I've paddled a lot in my short history. I'm comfortable running class III-IV as long as they are a little more mellow in terms of creeking.

I'm mostly a play boater/river runner, but wouldn't mind giving creeking a try as long as it isn't too nuts. I currently have a Wavesport EZ, but I am in the market for a full on play boat (preferably a Jackson Allstar). I'm also looking to pick up an AIRE Puma Raft, or something comparable, for when my girlfriend gets out here in June. She isn't keen on flipping over in a kayak, but loves to go rafting. So I want to pick up a raft in the near future so she can get out on the water with me.

I'm looking to meet some fellow paddlers who can show me the Colorado ropes, if you will. I know there is a ton of great white water out here as I have been reading about a lot of it. However, I'm a firm believer that paddling alone is a terrible idea. So if you don't mind spreading some knowledge and meeting a new face, please let me know. I'm itching to get on the water, and look forward to meeting you! Thanks!:mrgreen:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey,
I am going to steel his post a little. I am in the same boat. I am from Maine and just moved here last Nov. I am a solid class IV paddler. I have been doing it for 4 years. I currently only have a Jackson allstar. So right now looking for more riverrunning play stuff. Would love to get the creeking thing down but need some more gear. I have taken swiff water rescue. I will be teaching a few friends this summer and just wondered where the class 2-3 stuff is. Also Need people to show me the runs for my first time. Rather not have to scout every little thing. I live in Edwards and will be relocating to Vail in May. Anyone willing to show me some stuff? Not looking for a babysitter to save me when I swim... cause that shouldnt be a problem.

Contact info:
Jon Comeau
Email Jpcomeau521@aol.com

#7 ·
Probably the first thing you should do is buy your buddy a plane ticket out there because he's too poor from working a shitty job as a lifty to afford a plane ticket. Then you should let him stay in your swank apartment and then we could run some awesome whitewater together. I'll also bring all my college work along too so that you can finish it for me. And beer...PBR....:cool:...I'll be watching the mailbox for my ticket!

#12 ·
Guy from Maine...once Dowd chutes gets to 2.0' or so, go to the put-in around 5pm...lots of folks (probably the easiest way to start networking). Also vail town WW park....some people are always there when its running. There is plenty of III-IV around here (and when it comes it will be fast and furious)

#13 ·
Hey Nick,
I moved to Golden CO from Philly PA back in September and I am looking for folks to paddle and raft with too. What outfitter did you work for on the kneehigh? We might know some of the same folks. I live a few blocks from the whitewater park in Golden so drop me an email if you want to hook up. I boated year round in PA but this being Colorado I haven't been in the water since August....not sure what my skill level is now since kayaking is beginning to seem like an alien concept. Anyway, once the water is up I hope to get back in the groove. I've got a 13 ft raft too so if you can get a crew together I would be up for a trip to the Ark or Poudre, Lemme know. Ciao

Frank Culkin

#14 ·
Worked for Pocono Whitewater. Met the owners son in college, and they hooked me up last summer with a sweet job, and lots of trips. Great people up there. Shame the river isn't that great.

I heard about the white water park in Golden, and I am dieing to check it out when it starts running. Once it starts running let me know, and I'll be sure to head there. I'd love to paddle with a fellow Penciltuckyian. Keep in touch! Later.

#15 ·
Hey Jp and Nmalozzi, you guys have room on the newbs to colorado team for a chick? I am stuck in boulder (ok not that bad) but i can't find a damn person who paddles! sigh.... I have a van that can hold six yaks and all our gear and I am more then happy to play shuttle for a beer and 'bro on the river'. Shoot me an email and I would love to hit the water sometime.

Nic

mtthumper@gmail.com

#16 ·
Welcome to the area

I'll be looking to get out on some easier stuff this spring, as I have an injured foot that will keep me from doing stuff that involves much hiking and scouting. Starting soon, I'd be up for some trips to the Ark, or maybe even an early multi-day on the Dolores.

#17 ·
I'll be looking to get out on some easier stuff this spring, as I have an injured foot that will keep me from doing stuff that involves much hiking and scouting. Starting soon, I'd be up for some trips to the Ark, or maybe even an early multi-day on the Dolores.
Ditto on the easier stuff, I would be up for a trip or two if you have the space. I am going to be in Colorado until may 17th or so, and I would love to take a few big trips. That and I am up for running some day trips if you are interested.

Nic

#20 ·
Heyyyyyy

Hey bro. My name is Mike. I've "guided" on the Lehigh for the past 2 years with Challengers. It was a good time to be on the East Coast... the Ottawa is close ... and there are some great creeks when it rains.

Good to see you made the smart move to Colorado though :)

I'd be happy to boat with you this Spring/Summer.

Give me a shout when the rivers start running.
Mike Konschnik
www.DirtyDozenCrew.BlogSpot.Com
240-638-6667

#22 ·
Hey bro. My name is Mike. I've "guided" on the Lehigh for the past 2 years with Challengers. It was a good time to be on the East Coast... the Ottawa is close ... and there are some great creeks when it rains.

Good to see you made the smart move to Colorado though :)

I'd be happy to boat with you this Spring/Summer.

Give me a shout when the rivers start running.
Mike Konschnik
www.DirtyDozenCrew.BlogSpot.Com
240-638-6667
Hey man, just went to the website you've got there under your name and couldn't help but notice you know chris lee. I did i think 1 or 2 trips with him last summer. Great boater. Last I heard though he was having shoulder problems. Is he back from that? Hope so! I'll be in touch, if you're as good as Chris I've got a lot to learn from you, haha!

#23 ·
I'm moving to Denver from SLC the first week of May and would love to meet up with folks. I have a 16' oar rig with all the goodies - Westwater is the hardest thing i've rowed so far, but it was fine. I also just acquired a castoff kayak from a friend and want to get started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.