Old 03-01-2006   #1
Retail slave
Send a message via AIM to aban
new to co

new to colorado, i've just moved to boulder from the east coast (along with about half of the population apparently...). former sea kayak instructor, looking to get into whitewater. i need recommendations for first runs and i'm always looking for people to paddle with. once this snow melts it's gonna be a crazy season!

aban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Welcome to CO and Mt Buzz. Boulder creek doesn't usually start spilling till Mid to late may. The parks in Golden and Lyons may be your best bet for some intro boating. I imagine they are boatable in mid April, but I am out of that loop so someone chime in if my timing is off. THey should at least have enough flow to go work on eddy turns which will probably be your biggest hurdle to clear as you transition from sea kayaking.

Good luck, Dave

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Metro Area, Colorado
The SF of the South Platte (Deckers) is flowing already. They have been releasing out of Cheeseman Res. which has taken care of most the ice. It is a great beginner run. Class II for most of the way, but the chutes area has some more challenging class III pool drop rapids. Also, the S. Platte river just north of Chatfield Res. should start running in the next couple of weeks. This too is a great place to learn how to paddle and the water quality isn't nearly as bad as Confluence b/c the river hasn't gone through South Denver yet. Welcome to CO and good luck with your 1st season of paddling. It will be unforgettable!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You should also check out shoshone and the grizzley creek to new castle sections on the colorado river. They're class II and III and are great introductory runs with more of a large volume feel than the afore mentoned creeks. Season is year round, but doesn't really get warm until april. Also, you might check out the Colorado Whitewater Association (CWWA). They have a small membership fee and organize lots of introductory and intermendiate oriented trips during the summer.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

There is a big fundraiser for the new hole on the Lyons ww park on March 19... You should plan on attending. The logo on the right side of the main Buzz page will get you to the details, but basically the whole front range group of paddlers should be there. Plus it's a great time with music and great stuff to buy at auction prices.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6
What they all say except for Shoshone on the Colorado River. If you are new to whitewater, that wouldn't be a good run to start on. The Grizzly Creek run below Shoshone would be a good one down to Glenwood Springs and beyond. The Roaring Fork from Black Bridge to Glenwood would be another good one in that area for you.

When the Poudre starts running, you can do the Filter Plant section but it does have some challenging rapids to negotiate but you could walk around Mad Dog if you want. Easy to scout from the road on your way up to the put in.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
That guy Scott over at Confluence Kayaks in Denver is a pretty good person to talk to if you are just getting into the sport.

It should be a great year on the river, have fun, be safe!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #8
Web Developer/Programmer
Don't forget about CW and training camp. I seem to miss it every year, but this year I think I'm good to go. Anyways I hear it is a great place to learn and meet new people. for more info.

Also is a good place to meet kayakers running some of the easier stuff.
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #9
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
There's also this Colorado website you should try: The site is the shit!

No really, make a post every now and then when you're looking at going out and it's pretty easy to find good company.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #10
Thanks for the props there Dan.

I too came from a touring boat and sit on top back ground leading tourists around in the Bahamas.

Feel free to stop in and talk boats with me at Confluence Kayaks.

Leo I must be slippin you beat me to the Colorado Kayakers plug.
your kayaking support group/whitewater fun for everyone.

Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote