Old 03-27-2012   #1
West Lafayette, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2002
New to Boulder

Hey everyone, I just moved to Boulder for work and earlier this year I was excited because I've been boating out here for the last few years for a week to two weeks at a time. I realize the snow pack is poor this year but am curious what I should know and hit up this year. When do people expect things to start running if they do? Also, I noticed posts about new Mexico and Boise. Do people travel here? Being from Indiana we traveled 8-10 hours often to hit up the Green in NC or stuff in GA, TN, PA etc.

It's sad that I've missed some amazing rivers while out here and now I'm living here there isn't any water haha.

Thanks for any advice, info, etc.

Dave924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #2
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Glad you're here. I'm from NC and starting a new job in Denver in 2 weeks. I like to drive to paddle too. Send me a message with your name and phone number and we'll start planning.

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dave, if you talk a little more about what you like to paddle, you might get more responses. I assume you refer to Narrows of the Green?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #4
West Lafayette, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2002
Looking to paddle..

I'm looking for rivers I should keep an eye out for. What people think of this season (other than saying its going to be bad, is there going to be a season? Anything still good to go when it's short like this?) Any roll sessions to meet people? etc?

What I've paddled and want to paddle:
Some of my favorite rivers that I've paddled in the South East are the Green River Narrows, Tallulah, and Cheoah. In NY I loved the Raquette, and Eagle.

In Colorado over the last few years we'd hit up the Poudre, Boulder Creek, Animus, Upper Frying Pan, Castle Creek, Crystal Mill falls, Crystal sections (Marble to redstone I think?), Crystal Narrows at normal flows, 1800, and 2400cfs. Slaughterhouse in Aspen, Dowd Chute, Numbers at pretty high flows 3400cfs, etc. Run awesome run was near the Poudre (I think forget the name at the moment) and we just screamed down 3 box canyons and had an amazing time.

This last year we got to explore some better stuff but I think the group I was paddling with were in over their heads so they toned it back. They are great paddlers but have been out of their boats for along time. I'm really looking to get on Oh Be Joyful, and the others in the Gunnision drainage. In the end I think I've missed out on what Colorado truly has to offer due to the group wanting to do other things. I've love to get on some good solid V's out here. I've loved what I've run further west (WA) and I know Colorado has a lot to offer.

Thanks for any info.
Dave924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #5
Amazing, Colorado
I just started paddling last year so I am quite a bit below your level. I would however love to travel. I have been to NM and would like to go back. I also would love to paddle some in Wyoming and Montana. If you wouldn't mind stepping back a notch, I would be up for a trip.
dryfly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #6
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

If your talking about Stone Valley of the Raquette I think you'll be fine on just about anything out here. I would suggest getting familiar with Gore Canyon, it'll probably be the best thing pre and post season this year and not too far a trip from Boulder.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #7
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Buy the book. Your questions will be answered.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #8
bailey would be good and sounds like it may come in soon. i'll need people to paddle with since my crew has dwindled due to the following reasons:

-old and thinks riding a bike is sicker (forrest) - (and is whipped by his wife)
-moved to a state with no kayaking and sold out to make a few dollars more (kato)
-decided to be a nurse/homo (tom)
-just has kids and can't handle life (nick)
-can't get the nerve to run anything above III+ (ricky)
-thinks racing road bikes and clubbing is a better idea (alex)
-just got too old (gary e and gordon)
-got worked one too many times (dave)
-is just too good of a kayaker to paddle with me (banner boy aka doublegeek)
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #9
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with the comment regarding running Gore this season to hook up with boaters and get early and late season runs, as well as the buy the "book" (WWSR) suggestion. The season will be short and early this year, but there will still be a small window of runoff.

A few suggestions for you to look into include:

Gore Canyon

Upper A, Rockwood (possibly Pandoras..)

Oh Be Joyful, Slate, Daisy

Escalante (getting ready to go now)

Crystal Gorge

Embudo (New Mexico, running low now)

Lake Creek Ark

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Treasure Canyon

Upper Taos Box (running now)

Front Range creeks you should look into, but may not run this year include:

Big Thompson

North and South St. Vrain

You said you've ran Boulder Creek, but there are several different sections

Bailey Canyon North Fork South Platte (will run via the tunnel)

Cheeseman Canyon South Fork South Platte

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote