Old 05-09-2015   #1
New Run - Coal Creek! :)

The Wigston brothers and Frat boy Paul got to run Coal Creek today. It was pumping. Before the flood of 2013, this creek was not even close to runnable. The flood scoured it out, and removed all debris, and also cleared out about 10-15 vertical feet of sediment creating a very runnable and fun gorge. We put in below the last culvert, which was too small to boat through. It was a short run, lot's of drops stacked into a short distance. I'd rate it class V-, with some wood and other hazards that were avoidable, but could move into dangerous spots. There were surprisingly more eddies than we expected, and the drops ran a lot cleaner than they looked. We guessed we had around 150 to 200 cfs in the creek. who knows.... There were a bunch more drops that we did not get photos of too. It was a fun run, definitely not a classic. More of a novelty since I've been living in Coal Creek Canyon for so long.

check the photos I posted on facebook:

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #2
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice Work!

Dude I was gonna scout that tomorrow. I figured it had to be boatable because I live in Erie and coal creek has been cranking! Water has been well over the bike path bridges. If you guys fire it up again give me a shout! I'll probably try Monday after work special if anybody wants too. I'd love some beta (put in/take out) if you got any.

MilesSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #3
Denver,, exhaustion
nice job.
i've been eyeing that since the flood wondering if it was going to get water before it got choked up again.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #4
We put in at a bridge just downstream of the last driveway culvert. We maybe could have eddied above the culvert and portaged it but the land owner was out prowling. There are a couple more drops above what we ran, but not much. The section we ran had a lot of drops stacked into a short section. Our Putin was basically at the point where the creek goes from being on the north side of the road to the south side. It drops away from the road for awhile after that and you can't see the goods from the road. We were able to stop and scout with no problem. We took out near the railroad bridge. There are a fewogs across below the rapid section, so be careful when you get down there. It would not be difficult to scout the entire section before running it. We just scouted the first bit, then saw that there were plenty of eddies to use once in the gorge. Don't expect an amazing run. It was fun. Little manky, and pretty action packed. It could be run higher or lower than we did. If anyone wants to run higher up and deal with the culverts, my friend john would be cool with us using his house as the put in. It's all private property, so no legit access points other than the bridge where we put in.
Old 05-10-2015   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Solid! I didn't even know that creek was wide enough to boat.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #6
Before the flood it was not wide enough. The 2013 flood scoured it clean. Pretty cool to see that happen over a two day period. The creek has not had enough water to run until yesterday. I bet it Will run more this week, then that could be it for awhile. Pretty snowy today. Not sure if it's running now.