Old 07-13-2013   #11
FEE REQUIRED NOW, Not next year.

Just a heads up. The site improvements do not yet exist beyond a larger boat ramp. No changing area, no restrooms. They did however erect a large sign and pay station. The boat counter and a river ranger both told me that we needed to pay $7 for the truck I shuttled down for some other boaters. They were already in the Gorge by that time and expecting to find their truck when they got off the water, so there wasn't really a way to change plans to another option. I highly suggest using the other (free) take-outs that also don't have amenities built. If you do stay on the water for ~15 minutes longer, there are bathrooms and changing areas at Centennial Park, and parking is FREE. After everything is built at Pink House, then by all means, charge us $7 to use it, but it's crappy to charge us now.

Originally Posted by Marco View Post
This site is part of the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, however, as I understand it the site has not been improved and will not require a fee this year. Once improvements are added (permanent toilet facilities, etc.) then the standard State Parks fees will apply (annual vehicle pass $70, daily individual pass $3).

If I find out any different fee information I will update this thread.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013   #12
Boatin', Colorado
The oil creek diversion is blocked and you have to portage it right now. Easy to do, doesn't take much time.

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #13
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Ed Hansen View Post
Just a heads up. The site improvements do not yet exist beyond a larger boat ramp. No changing area, no restrooms. . . . . After everything is built at Pink House, then by all means, charge us $7 to use it, but it's crappy to charge us now.
There are restrooms- at the west end of the takeout. The new ramps are quite nice. I don't see how Pink House is underdeveloped compared to, say, Spikebuck, that you'd also have to pay to use.

Presumably most people launch at Parkdale, where they would have had to pay a fee for the vehicle to unload their gear anyway. If you really don't want to pay the state parks fee, you could use the Old Parkdale site and float on down to Centennial Park.

On a different note, as to my previous concerns, so far this season I haven't seen big problems with the traffic. Everyone's done pretty well with adapting to the new users and the new flow with the second ramp. The few problems I have seen stem from users not taking out as far downstream as possible, and not pulling vehicles as far downstream as possible. Have also seen a few private users hanging out on the ramp for some time. If you have to wait for a shuttle, move boats and gear to the area that is blocked out by rocks on the downstream end if possible. It's a good spot to de-rig or roll a raft.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote