Old 07-01-2009   #141
Salt Lake City, Utah
Here are a couple of shots from Friday.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #142
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
The mosquito repeller is actually chemical rather than electronic. I tried electronic many years ago without success, and most Internet reviews said they don't work. While searching I found this chemical device called a ThermaCell.

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent

It uses a small butane catridge to heat the insecticide. I was really skeptical but decided it was worth a try. At our first camp (where the mosquitoes were the worst) I set it on our table in the kitchen area. My hope was to help the cooks survive while the rest of us were hanging out in the screen tent.

It takes 15-20 minutes for it to make a noticable difference, but it did seem to help. We had a very gentle breeze that kept shifting directions. After finishing dinner, when I exited the screen tent I was surprised that there were very few mosquitoes anywhere near the kitchen. If you walked 10 feet in any direction they would be thick, but if you walk back to the kitchen, there weren't many bugs.

To further test the device, the next morning I placed it near our port-a-potty which was near the river where the bugs were even worse. After about 30 minutes you could visit the toilet without getting eaten alive. I was impressed.

You can buy them at most sporting goods stores. I picked mine up at WalMart. I just bought a refill kit so I will be ready for our Lodore trip in a few weeks.

We also tried a new repellent with good results. In the past I have found that nothing works except DEET. DEET is still perhaps the best protection, but you shouldn't put it on clothing since it attacks fabric and plastic. In fact my glasses now have nice etch marks on the ear pieces, which I think was caused by DEET.

We tried a bottle of Bite Blocker Bio UD (which we also got at WalMart). My wife learned about it on a TV show. You can spray this on clothing, so we decided to test it out. It has some oder, but not too bad. It worked well and it was everyone's first choice until it ran out. Everyone liked being able to spray their shirts, pants, and socks.

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #143
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Nice pics, skyman !
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #144
steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We are launching sunday. It should be a bit lower by the time we get to Joe Hutch. I will try to get some pictures.
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #145
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
just got back today. the bugs are off the hook. I have never seen anything like it. For us they were no issue on night two at mile 63. If I had it to do over again I would have boated as late as it took to get out of the 26 miles of flat water. Night one we camped around mile 76 and it sucked. We had 8 kids under the age of 11 and they had to hunker down in the bug tent, no playing that night. I had Insect shield clothing and bug head nets for my kids and I am so glad I did. I wish I would have had socks and gloves too. Seriously I set a wag bag groover up in our tent the next morning so my kids could do there thing in peace.

Joe Hutch does not need anymore description all I will say is that I tubed it and paddle my SUP through it after I got my family's raft through. Tubing it was super fun and I highly recommend it. I was able to finish a PBR from the scout beach to the crest of the rapid...perfect. I am motivated to do more tubing.

The SUP did not go so well, I'll post pictures. I got tossed at the big lateral on the right side of tongue and swam most of the rapid. I think I tore my meniscus as well so that was kind of a bummer.

Amazing family river trip. Can't wait to do it again.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #146
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
It's been fun to read all the posts and watch the videos. Thanks for sharing. I had a good run on June 10th.
shireen611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #147
Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just got off Deso Tuesday 30th. The bugs were so bad the first night that I can't possibly express it in words. 12 people, 5 cans of bug spray, 2 small things of deet, aloe vera incense, lots of booze, swatting dances, and attempts to trick the bastards by climbing rocks... which actually works, for about 15 minutes. We loaded the boats as fast as possible the next morning, no food, no talk, just get the F out. The rest of the trip was bliss. Joe Hutch was fun as hell. no keeper holes, just big waves at that level between 9-11K don't know what it was exactly, but we smashed it in the mouth and lost our beer bag. Tragic but a small price to pay for an amazing time. layover day was like being in the bahamas. can't wait to go back. JH is really no fret. the water is so warm it really wouldn't be a bad swim. I can see a couple big rocks to dogde at lower water on the right, so maybe worth the scout but an obvious left run, follow the wave train, hang on to your beer. Had we had any honey, we would have followed someone's advice to smear honey all over us after the 12 pack that was well on its way down the hatch. Bring a sunshade for camping below poverty canyon. Hot as a mother.

ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote