Old 06-19-2009   #111
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Damm, I was really looking forward to Deso and had an early july launch, but scored a SJ cancellation for next week. Looks like I'm dodging sandbars rather than haystacks. Love that picture of the avon getting buried!
Gotta love Mama Nature, she keeps it real!

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #112
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
Cataraft girl said a few posts back that she saw a few rafts flip in the haystacks. We ran it at 18-20k in mid-May, and the haystacks weren't flippers then, but who knows - that rapid is definitely still evolving.
Yep. Watched them flip with my own two eyes. 16 ft. rafts and several duckies. The ranger at Sand Wash told us that there have been quite a number of flips. Standing at the scout on the debris field was entertaining and nerve wracking at the same time. But that's what running whitewater is all about.....right? Ecstasy & Anxiety.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #113
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
We put-in June 14 and out today for a seven day trip. Bug scenario much improves the futher South you wander down canyon. Like everyone is saying, Jack Creek and below deliniates the human tolerance zone for mosquitos.

Picture is a 18' commercial paddleboat at the big wave in Joe Hutch/Cow Swim from 2 days ago. They catapulted over it and managed to keep the blue side up for the remainder of the run!
On the left tongue some boats managed to bust right thru the lateral and remain right of the wave train, a few other boats went around the left side of the waves. Level was around 13,000 cfs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DESOLATION Canyon 149.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	1639  
elkcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #114
Just returned from Deso a few days ago. I love the new rapid especially at 13,000 cfs! I went left, the two waves are steep but flushy, the second wave didn't even get us wet. The current took us away from the wall, didn't have to pull away much. The mosquitoes were really bad at the put-in and the 1st few days, after that not bad....maybe due to the high wind factor in the afternoons.
latouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #115
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
how should I drive to Sand Wash from Salida? I am paying for a shuttle so should I go north to Vernal or drive up from Green River? Thanks.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #116
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would recommend 1-70 to GR, North to Price, and then on to Duschene/Myton. Less gravel road that way. Price has a Walmart, Smiths grocery store for last minute stuff like ice.
elkcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #117
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990

I'd consider going North from Rifle to Vernal if you aren't going to leave your outfit at the take out. You might check it on a map and see which is the best. Ron.
When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #118
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I ran this last fall and there had been a HUGE flash that brought in lots of stuff. the hardest part was not hitting rocks-unsuccesfully. Its worth scouting just to see the flash flood effects! At high water scraping over rocks won't be an issue, and maybe this will move some of the small stuff out of the way and make a channel for lower water runs.

sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #119
Tahoe City, California
Hey guys,

I realize that some are growing tired of this thread, but it's a relevant topic in this section river. Deso is loaded with Class II/III rapids that can be comfortably run by most novices, but this rapid truly changes the character of this section of river as it must also be navigated. It's way bigger than the rest of the rapids in Deso.

So here's my story! I ran it (and flipped) last week at 13,000 cfs. While scouting I observed one dump truck and a near flip, and one success. These standing waves curl over on top and they were at least six feet from trough to crest - very big curlers on top with a big rock wall at the bottom if you screw up.

In my view, the best run is right of center. I started out left of center. After the first couple of waves I started to ferry right, but I was pulling backwards and slowing my speed. I turned a bit too much sideways, allowing a wave to turn me 90 degrees by the time I hit Flipper. That wave flipped me so easily, too.

I had my family in the boat. We were all fine, but I was fairly well-shaken considering I was responsible for exposing them to this danger. The river is swift after Joe Hutch, so it took me at least a quarter-mile to get the boat to shore.

Thanks to the Outward Bound trip for retrieving us and the two guys who righted my raft, too.

My suggestion: run this without kids, go right of center (in these flows) and have a rescue plan in place with others in your party.

A friend with a digital video camera was able to extract this photo from the video. I'll see if I can get the whole video.

- penguin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	1661  
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #120
Gnarnia, Colorado
Thanks for the info. How were the bugs?

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote