Old 07-12-2013   #1
Nashville, Tennessee
New Kayaker trying to do my research

Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting into whitewater kayaking. I've been pouring over this forum and others trying to learn and explore the sport.

I did a fair amount in inflatables on the Upper Rogue in Oregon many years ago and loved it. When I was in Arkansas I was debating whitewater vs touring and my ex talked me into touring. Big mistake. I realized I enjoyed whitewater too much, and the touring boats were almost dangerous on the lakes we kayaked on.

Through the years I keep coming back to this and exploring it some. However, I'm realizing that as I am getting older that if I don't do it soon, I won't. I'm also thinking that it might be a good way to be motivated to exercise some before the season. I'm currently 6'2 and 260 so I am limited on my boat options. I will likely rent some before the season is over and possibly buy a boat over the winter and try to find a pool to practice in.

I am moving to a new job in Nashville TN and trying to learn about the area and the opportunities for kayaking there. I did find one place that does a 3 hour introduction lesson for $65. I figure this would be a good place to start. I will also look for other classes to take while I prepare. Yes I plan on practicing rolling extensively. I'm looking for addition suggestions also.

Unfortunately I also expect to kayak alone at times. Unless I am lucky enough to find someone to kayak with that will mesh with my work schedule. With this in mind I do plan to stay in my skill range. For those that have to do this, do you simply find a place that will shuttle you and your boat to the put in point? What are some ways of finding places that will do this?

I appreciate any help and suggestions.

ShadowMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #2
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
get on BoaterTalk: whitewater kayaking, stand up paddling, whitewater canoeing, river rafting

justin.payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #3
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Classes are a good way to get your feet wet, but if they don't teach properly, they can also be very discouraging when repeated classes don't yield you a roll.

Since it's in TN, maybe you'll get better classes since that's the home of Jackson kayaks (but who's to say). A class teaching the EJ method of rolling will net you rolls faster and be more motivating (not sure if those exist).

How I finally learned, after spending hundreds on classes, was from EJ's Rolling and Bracing DVD and just getting out to the lake on my own (occasionally with others or I would run into other people I knew), and doing it exactly as EJ instructs in the DVD.

If rolling just isn't your thing, you can still hit up whitewater. You don't need a huge rig. You could use a nice pack raft (like the Alpacka) or those quality Aire duckies/small rafts.

Anyway, BoaterTalk will have local (TN) boaters for you to discuss further with. Thanks for stopping by the Buzz!
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #4
Nashville, Tennessee
Thanks for the replies so far, it is appreciated.

Sadly i cant post in boatertalk. Each time I try to accept the user agreement it acts like it doesn't work. I cant get past it. I have tried 3 browsers and even created a different user name. I also don't see a place to contact them for help.
ShadowMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #5
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
move to Colorado... try mountainbuzz.
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Forget kayaking, you're in Nashville. Learn to play the banjo.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #7
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
move to Colorado... try mountainbuzz.
I just checked and it looks like Colorado is full. Check back in a few years.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #8
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Take classes, buy a big boat like a large burn. Don't worry about rolling
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #9
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Solo boating as a rule is a no-no. Beginners don't have any place solo boating outside of flatwater. I would argue not even moving flatwater but I guess that might be up for debate.

Take some lessons or find someone to take you under their wing. Maybe both. Old isn't a big deal but older and bigger (260#) is a tough combination for learning to roll and progressing in a kayak. Not impossible and athletic 260# can make a big difference. Most folks in your position in the western half of the US would buy a raft and row.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #10
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Flat-water solo boating is often the only viable way to learn when you first start out. Not everyone has a group of kayaking buddies to go with you on the lake 5 times a week. I see absolutely no real danger there, if you have a PFD and aren't freakishly stupid or unlucky. I came away fine and with a solid roll; I'm only moderately stupid and unlucky, though.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote