Old 12-22-2005   #1
New kayak advice

Hi all!

I'm thinking of selling the dagger centrifuge (which I love by the way) and getting into something new or new-ish. Problem is, this will be my first new boat purchase in about 5 years, so I'm trolling for helpful advice. While I'm not a big rodeo/trick boater, I am looking for something that cartwheels a bit easier than the centrifuge. And comfort is a big issue - I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. Finally, price is also a concern - I don't necessarily need the hottest and baddest boat out there, just something that's solid, comfortable, and fun.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Dallas Blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #2
I am fairly new to kayaking, but suffer from larger problems of size as well. I'm 6'9" and about 240lbs. However, a play/river running boat that I have enjoyed and will also be buying soon is the super fun by Jackson. I'm sure you know they offer a variety of sizes for this boat and I'm sure one would work for you. They surf well and are forgiving in terms of rolling and stability. This is also the boat I'm starting to try and learn some of the playboating tricks in the pool. I have demoed the boat and run Shoshone in it with good success even at my weight. It eddie turns and peels out preety well. I am a big fan of this boat. Confluence carries them and I know last year they brought lots of boats to the CWWA open pools at Meyers Pool in Arvada, and I'm pretty sure they start their pool sessions on Jan. 8th.

brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #3
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm exactly your size (ok, maybe 10lbs heavier) and I picked up a Jackson Super Star at the end of last season. I only got to paddle it once at Salida when the Ark had a wierd surge and it was pretty sweet...take some getting used to from my big easy but I think I'll like it. It's comfortable, which is huge when you have long inseam and big feet.

Whatever you end up picking up, pick it up used. In my opinion, new boats are not worth the price. If you wait just a couple weeks while you watch this site and bt you should be able to score.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #4
pnw, Washington
I would highly recommend a kingpin, very comfy at your size.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Another vote for the Jackson Star-series. Really comfy, NO leaking, easy to roll and IMO a good mix of downriver/play handling.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote