Old 12-24-2010   #1
Provo, Utah
New JK Rockstar Specs out

The specs are fairly similar to the 2010 All Star. 1" shorter in length, 3 more gallons in volume, .25" wider, .5" in height and about 1 pound lighter than the All Star. I like that they include max inseam and max shoe size as part of the sizing.

So the real question... We hear lighter, faster, looser every year from most manufacturers. Are these minor adjustments really worth yet another new boat over the 2010 All Star or was this an attempt to stay ahead of the market by releasing another new model this year?

Below are the specs for each mid size model and a link to the 360 view from Jackson as well as the youtube vid Jackson put out.

I opened the 360 viewers in two different windows and compared side by side. The Rock Star stern looks more like the Molan stern while the bow looks completely the same except taller in the knee bumps and side walls. The Rock Star edges look to be a littler lower than the All star and the Rock Star looks more sleek in design overall. The Rock Star definitely looks a bit wider and more bulbous than the All star nearly everywhere.

Have a look and post your thoughts

Rock Star M:

Length: 59 long
Width: 26 Wide
Height: 14.25 tall
Volume: 58 gallons
Weight: 29 pounds SL, 29 Pounds Elite
Target weight: 140-200
Max inseam/footsize: 34-12

360 View: 360 View

Length: 510″
Width: 25-3/4″
Height: 13-3/4″
Volume: 55-1/2 gallons
Cockpit: 20-1/4″ x 34-1/2″
Weight: 32 lbs (SL), 30 (Elite)
Target Weight Range: 130-200 lbs.

360 View: 360 View

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #2
Provo, Utah
To be fair... Here is Jackson's write up on it from their website.

The Basics: Shorter, faster, bigger looping, easier cartwheels, looser, lighter, and snappier makes playboating a joy! Once again a boat that makes you better, right away! The secret? Refined rocker profile, drop chines, more volume, refined bow shape, balanced volume distribution, and a new higher seating position that gives you more leverage.
The Playboater’s Advantage: What you can expect when you get in the cockpit of this new high performance machine.
  • Beginners will be more challenged for river running, but be rewarded with easier/bigger/faster moves. The higher seating position will take some getting used to, but if you want to progress uber fast, go for it. For the best in conventional playboating and seating- get the 2010 All-Star
  • Intermediates will truly know they have jumped into something special. It will take a day or two to get used to sitting 1.5” higher up, but Moves will be easier, bigger, snappier, and your friends will be impressed with your playboating in your first day. The speed and looseness of the hull will shock you as the boat is a full inch shorter than the All-Star.
  • Experts will rock this boat after a few rides to get used to the 1.5” higher seat. Wave riding will be more aerial, faster, looser, and the moves will feel effortless. Hole riding will be like a trampoline ride. Powerful launches up and out of the water for loop moves, while the boat will rotate around your body like a pin-wheel for vertical moves due to the improved volume distribution (more in the stern). McNasty and Phonix Monkey moves were made easier with improved rocker profile in the bow to allow it to “reel up” high before throwing. Wow, then Wow, and at least another 20 Wows every time you try something different.
Rock Star compared to All-Star: While moves are easier and bigger, faster, etc.. the All-Star has the standard seating position and is simply the easiest playboating package for beginners, or anyone who doesn’t want to get used to a higher seat.
Key features that set the Rock Star apart from the Star series:
1. 3 more gallons- but cartwheels easier- goes bigger
2. 1” shorter- but faster
3. Sit up higher- 1.5” and more leverage, everything easier, but takes a little getting used to.
4. New rocker in center 2/3rds-
5. Better/looser hull- WAY looser

Old 12-24-2010   #3
Provo, Utah
This is Eric Jackson's blog write up about the Rock Star. Sadly, I am becoming more convinced... I probably still won't buy in though.

For those about to Rock! Rock Star! Jackson Kayak
Old 12-24-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
damn, I'm going to get the 2010 star this next season, and I was all excited to have the top of the line playboat, but nope, Jackson keeps popping them out.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #5
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995

Don't be discouraged at Jackson's latest release.. Jackson currently has a number of US Team paddlers in freestyle, and in many ways are looking for that extra edge in this year's world championships.

The 2010 Star series is probably the best playboat you can buy today and there's no way it will be obsolete in any time soon.

But yea, this boat looks so sick, and you might re-think your decision and wait a couple months to purchase this bad boy..
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010   #6
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
First of all Merry Christmas everyone!
I just got a brand new 2010 Star. It hasn't even seen water yet and unfortuately everything is iced over here so pool sessions will be its first exposure. I don't feel bad that my boat is already outdated, and as far as raising the seat, I have always done that anyways by putting foam under the seat. will feel more tippy at first but will get accustomed to it very quickly. I am sure both models will be wonderful as all the Jackson boats are.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010   #7
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Just noticed on the JK site (my boat isn't outdated yet) They haven't made the smaller series yet. WooHoo!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #8
Engineer, Vail
Just went on the Jackon's site to spec out the 2010 all star for next seasons purchase....I was shocked to see that the game has change once again after finally committing to purchasing an All-Star over the new Project X. But I have to say, Jackson has some balls coming out with yet again a new playboat...but I think that we'll really be able to take advantage of the extra leverage from sitting up higher...theres no doubt that moves will be faster and bigger! But in the river things will be that much more fun and exciting. I think I'll give her a shot!
kakahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #9
There is no doubt this boat will be different than the 2010 All Star. Jackson is striving to be the best in all areas of whitewater kayaking. With new competition out there in whitewater manufacturing, I think they answered with the new Rock Star for 2011 as an option. That being said, the 2010 Stars will still be a great for a lot of paddlers.

Here is the JK line up for 2011 in Whitewater. They are unique in the sense that they have 2 play boats for 2011
Whitewater Jackson Kayak

We put them up on the web today for those that are interested.

Jackson Rock Star Elite

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote