Old 04-14-2013   #1
Oakland, California
New Guy on the East Carson

We are new to this sport, and after having purchased a used but solid Avon Adventurer over the winter, would like to plan an easy trip to get our feet wet (hah a pun). We are 4 people- 2 late teens and my wife and I.

A friend suggested the E fork of the Carson river in California. Since we live within 4 hours of Markleeville (the put in I understand) that sounds fine. I think it's a pretty popular 2-day run with families, but I hope I can ask just a couple of questions:

1) I have been tracking the flow here USGS Current Conditions for USGS 10308200 E FK CARSON RV BLW MARKLEEVILLE CK NR MARKLEEVILLE I wonder if someone can suggest what a good range of CFM is for this river? We were hoping to do the trip in mid-June. I don't want to have to drag the boat with too low water levels since I realize the flow depends on snow melt only.

2) I have a couple of old life preservers, and have been looking on Craigslist to add to the collection, but most of the ones for sale seem to be geared to water skiing. Does this matter?

3) I hear there is a hot spring at the half way point where we'll camp. I have a feeling it will be a popular spot. Should we pull out above or below the springs?

Thanks for any tips thrown my way-

Yblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #2
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
For the east fork Carson you will want flows of 500cfs +. The hot springs are the standard camp full of naked hippies, rednecks and drinking. Don't know if I have ever done that trip in June, there might be water. Life jacket wise you will want appropriate life jackets not some toys designed for flat water. If buying used all the coast guard writing should still be readable. And I think there is a shuttle service for your vehicle done by someone from the reservation.

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #3
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00

Yea at least 500,more like 900 if in a raft with people and gear. Don't wait until June it might be gone.Call Mindy at Mountain Family Shuttle.
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote