New guidebook: Paddling Pacific Northwest Whitewater - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-12-2016   #1
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
New guidebook: Paddling Pacific Northwest Whitewater

I hadn't seen this mentioned here. There's a new guidebook for the Pacific Northwest. I've paddled out there a few times and while there have been some classic guidebooks available for the region, they are very dated and I always found myself trying to aggregate information from a dozen different sources.

I got the guidebook last week and have been thumbing through it since. It's a great collaborative effort that's super comprehensive and looks to be an awesome effort. It's worth it for looking at the photos alone. Go check it out!

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002

Here's a promo video from Substantial about the guide book. It definitely looks like a good investment for PNW boating.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Yes, super awesome book, lots of runs and great photos too, who is this Kevin Crips? Front ranger? They give anybody photo credits these days.

Great book!

jk Kevin
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Just got mine. This book is stellar, and it is crazy that they can sell it for $25. Go buy one now!
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Do they cover floats for rafts also? The video seems to concentrate on kayaks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Do they cover floats for rafts also? The video seems to concentrate on kayaks.

PPNW primarily focuses on challenging whitewater. So, while many of the runs have been or could potentially be rafted, there are not much in the way of "floats" described in the book.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #7

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks jmack

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #8

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
There are some "raft" runs in the book. I got it last week cause I have some photo credits in there, my wife is on page 418! However, this isn't really a guide book in the classic sense. Most of the run descriptions are short snippets with not enough detail to be an actual "guide". You will have or want to do a lot of further research to actually run many of these creeks/rivers. There are no maps. Also unbelievably there isn't a table of contents or an index in the back. I have a lot of Falcon guides for boating and climbing and in general the publishers QA/QC of the final product is generally poor. Is are on-going jokes in the climbing community of how bad falcon guides are. How they could have put out such a great looking book without a TOC or index is hard to fathom. Good luck looking anything up quickly. That being said, it is a good table top book with great photos that could give you some ideas of cool rivers/creeks to hit up. But a guide book, no it is not.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote