Old 01-19-2004   #1
New gear for a new boater

I am brand new to whitewater kayaking, but not new to the whitewater. As an avid rafter, I have always wanted to break out on my own and shoot down the currents in my own boat. Any suggestions for a Colorado newbie??? I am a 5'6", 160 lbs male. Not sure if that makes a difference, but what they hey?!?

Thanks in advance!!

spiveyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #2
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Start with these items, comfort and warmth are what often determin extra cost.

1) Kayak

2) PFD (Type III- or V Rescue Jacket)- stay away from head pillows, and get one that lets you move through a kayak stroke or swim stroke without interffering with your natural motion.

3) Helmet- gives yo the comfort you need and protects your head. You can go with plastic or composite, expect to pay more for style points (-not always more protection points).

4) Skirt- Wait until you know what kayak your going to buy before investing in a skirt. This is the only one that spending more money truely is worth the beginner budget. You get what you pay for with skirts. $20 more equals three or four more years of use.

5) Paddle- You don't want to run out and buy the most exspensive paddle you can get. Your more likely to break or lose your paddle learning to kayak. Your choices are normally straight and bent shaft paddles. (Bent shafts or ergonomic paddles- help to keep your wrist bones in line- mostly it's a comfort thing- and it works.$$$)

6) Float bags- Protect your investment (kayak), and help a brother out. ( Float bags make catching and retrieving an empty kayak easier.)

7) Shoes- Having shoes makes you a possible rescue or saftey member. No shoes- no going for help. Have fun chasing your kayak, bare foot boy.

Layers- Dress for all day. Everyday is different, so dress for the weather and dress for a swim. Because you never know.

9) Drytop- This one is almost regionaly determined. We live in an area where if the snow's not meltiing the river's aren't running. Breathable or non-breathable, both are dry.

10) Nose plugs- Because they work.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #3
ski/kayak bum
take a lesson
cks in ark valley
don can you give him one in denver?
three rivers or scenic in the gunny area
up north suggestions?
go talk to the guys at the outdoor program at mesa if you are in the grand junction area, i cant remember his name but the head of the program is a cool guy.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #4
A kayak, skirt and a paddle will get you into the pool. There is pool time all over if you look for it. I only know the schedules for up in Summit. The more time you spend in a warm pool learing to roll, the less time you'll spend freezing your butt off in the river swimming after your boat and gear.

Good luck,

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #5
Thanks to all!!!

Any suggestions as to which boats might be good? I am not really looking to do an rodeo stuff, just some whitewater cruising. Brown's Canyon is what I am familiar with.

spiveyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #6
pnw, Washington
Boats are a personal choice. Buy used till you know what you want.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote