Old 11-04-2004   #1
New Frisco kayak park

Hey everyone. Frisco has just approved in their budget a new kayak park on the tenmile near the park and ride. I'm a private contractor involved with Town of Frisco government, and i wanted to get some feedback on ideas and thoughts for the park. Let me know if anyone is interested in planning, as no one is under contract yet for this project. This is in the very early stages, but construction is planned for the spring. This is just a personal request, so don't go contacting Frisco.....yet.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
EVERY drop should be playable. It would be a waste of money to build a park where only 1 of 8 drops is surfable. This should not be a place for a beginner to carry up and run drops again - the whole Blue from Breck to Frisco does that just fine. It ought to be a freestyle park. Perhaps most importantly, there should be some features designed to work in low water on the off season. A few years ago, the 16th Street wave in Denver was spinnable both ways with only 115 cfs. Something like that would be good for the bulk of the year when Tenmile doesn't have lots of water. Sounds like an exciting proposition for you all. Best of luck.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #3
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Make sure that you get a good designer. Lots of towns have made the mistake of just assuming that you throw some rocks in the river and pour some concrete and it's done, that couldn't be further from the truth. Building a good play park is a science. Make sure you pay good money for a designer or you will have totally have wasted your money, and no one will show up. And like it was stated before, low water features are key. Make sure the river you have chosen has constant flows, you need the park to last as long through season as possible. That means make good low water features. Too many parks are just designed for peak run off and they almost never run. Some of the best holes to look at and study are #2 in Union, #5 in golden, The old bleacher hole at golden, the old bingo hole at golden, The Lawson hole, and the black bear hole on the st. vrain. Make sure that the last feature in the park is your high water feature and makes sure it is amazing thats what gets peoples attention in the first place. Spend lots of time planning, and don't rush it because if you do it right your park can bring in quite a bit of money.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #4
Boise, Idaho
Just to reiterate, low water, low water, low water features. Not only do you want something to run in the "off" season but Ten mile isn't a very big water drainage to begin with. Maybe you should look at the flow history and base your design on that information.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #5
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
ya constrict the river, take advantage of every drop of water, and make sure every drop is playable.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #6
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
It seems most of the play parks I've played in have a lot of flat spinning holes, but not much good verticle. It'd be great to have a good deep pillow in a hole somewhere.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #7
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Just looked Frisco up on the map. "If you build it, I will come"!!! Closer than Reno and it has other places around too. Been to Gunny park, but I think Frisco would even be easier to get to for me. Need help?? Ron.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #8
Moab, Utah
park facts

doing a little research on the gage website reveals some rather interesting facts about the potential frisco site

elevation 9100' (very high - breck is about 9500?)
basin size 93 sq. miles (golden is 400, vail is 100, breck about 50?)
avg. peak flow 530 cfs on 6/8, based on 43 yrs. record
highest peak on record of about 1900 cfs
only 2 days in August above 100 cfs, about 10 days above 90 cfs

the bottom line is that this park is challenged by some very unique conditions. i think the biggest concern everyone has expressed here is that a park get built that is only worth visiting for one week a year. working in favor of this park is the fact that there are no major diversions above it, like in breck and golden.

please get someone who is an expert in the field to analyze the flows, and actually DESIGN the park. Lacy and his guys are obviously the group that comes to mind, but the list of designers seems to be growing. a few drops for high flow and a few for low flow would be great, but make sure they tell you what would work best based on the site specific conditions and flow analysis. you also need to be aware that an Army Corps of Engineers permit will be required, as you are messing in the floodplain and don't have an ag exemption (Lacy would know about this).

best of luck, please post if you have a work day for volunteers to prep the site and remove trees and such. being finished for 05 season seems ambitious, but i hope you can do it.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #9
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I agree with the feelings around making low water features. This is the reality in which we live.

I have heard of this thing called "The Ditch" (not the M wave) I think that it is in New Mexico. It is a drainage ditch that has a very low flow yet is loopable. Apparently they also can place 2X4's in different configurations to consrict the flow in different ways so that the feature will allow for different tricks and such.

Trying to picture this maybe difficult. But I think that something like this could be done..... a steep narrow shoot made out of rocks with a high drainage point for high flows. A steel rim on on the sides and bottom that a 2x12 or something could slid in to constrict the flow.... say put one on the rigth side so that you can spin left or something... its just a thougth...

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, kayaking