Old 04-09-2006   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
new creeker info requested

i live in fort collins and have paddled an embuddo for about 5 years..i am looking for a new creeker for technical creeks and rivers, but it seems all the new creekers are longer than my embuddo-the embuddo has a displacement hull that seems to make it hard to get back on line once you fall off...if you have a new favorite that you are paddling please tell me and also please tell me why you prefer it. i am tired of reading all the b.s. that the companies post out there...thank you

colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #2
dropzone, Colorado
do a search on this site. There have been many extensive threads about creekboats recently, both on the main forum and in the gear forum. Also search, more info than you will know what to do with. When in doubt, demo.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Jefe has been on top of the new boats since it's debut. There's about 8 in Fort Collins. I'd be more than down for you to try mine as soon as the Narrows gets up.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #4
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Unless my eyes are seriously wrong, the Embudo has a planing hull with a rail and is not a displacement hull...
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #5
Ski Patrol
The Bliss Stick Huka and the Pyrana M3 233 are my favorite in the tight and steep. The Huka Boofs nicely and stays on top really well especally after constant drops. The M3 is forgiving and predictable in low to Moderate flows. Both boats do not do well on high flows.
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #6
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You might try the "Creek Boats" thread on Gear Talk: there's some decent coverage on the JK Rocker and Riot Magnum (disclaimer: yes, I wrote one of those posts), as well as more discussion on the LL Jefe (not much real "review" material, though), going on there right now??

As for personal preferences, I'm currently paddling the small Fluid Solo, and LOVE it!! I demoed (or borrowed) many more "popular" creekboats (LL Jefe, Pyranha M3, DR Mafia, WS Y, Riot Magnum, Dagger Nomad, etc etc etc) prior to purchasing, and while I liked certain aspects of most of them (I'm sorry Mafia affecionados, but that would've been the one exception-- also had a poor opinion of the Nomad?), none of them was the perfect fit? I did go back and forth on the Jefe (that's the safest I've ever felt in a boat, but in the end, it was just too BIG for me), and were there a smaller version, I'd have bought it instead (take half a foot or more off the length, drop a few lbs off the weight, and shave a gallon or two off the total volume, and I'd be a very happy girl). But, since that isn't the case, I kept on looking-- which was ultimately okay, because then I found the Solo.

The (small) Solo was a match made in heaven from the first second I snapped my skirt onto it: it's a semi-displacement hull, with lots of volume in the bow, a bulbous stern, and an enviable amount of rocker to keep you well above the pile. It measures about a foot shorter than most other creekers (7'3"), to boot, which is what it *sounded like* you may be looking for?? ( --> "Whitewater" --> "Solo") I've found having a little less length means it's an easier boat for me to paddle, too: it doesn't torque my shoulders the way some of those larger boats did, or require as much strength to drive. Instead, it locks into lines easily, has a "playboat" feel to it where maneuverability is concerned (not edgy at all, but the size means it responds to the paddler the same way, without him/her having to alter their style much), handles everything from waves and bigger volume to smaller, steeper more technical runs with ease, and is forgiving, highly stable, boofs easily, and resurfaces on the same level as the Jefe (fast and evenly). It also punches right thru holes, without ever risking that "hole bait" feeling I dreaded in some of the larger boats.

Granted, as much as I love to Solo, I will concede it's not as quick as one of the big drivers like the Magnum, but it's not a slow boat, either. And what it's lost in acceleration, it more than makes up for in agility: it'll turn on a dime, and tuck into the eddy like a dream. Great on drops, and outstanding plastic-- I pitoned the hell outta mine the first run out (something we'd run problem-free two days earlier with 8" - 10" more water), left a grapefruit-sized indention in the nose, and parked it in a friend's front yard for the next 24 hours. By noon the next day, the grapefruit-sized pignose had shrunk to about the size of a baseball, by 5 o' clock, he and I were both looking for so much as a single scuff mark on the front of the boat. Gone. Completely. Perfectly. As good as new.

I can't say enough good things about this boat, and if you're looking for a shorter creeker, I'd highly suggest demoing one. Hopefully you'll love yours as much as I've loved having mine. Good luck!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #7
pnw, Washington
First time I have heard of fluid, what makes their plastic so special? Anybody paddle one of these for any length of time? Looks like a Diesel.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #8
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think you misunderstood me, GH-- wasn't saying there was anything "special" about their plastic, just that it's capable of withstanding some pretty serious abuse-- as evidenced by me killing my boat, and it popping back into shape by the next day.

And how does the Solo look anything like the Diesel?

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #9
pnw, Washington
Easy, didnt mean it as a negative. The hull shape and the size look similar to me. Everyone always raves about the Prijon plastic, was curious if they are similar. Glad you are happy with your new boat.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
thank you so very much to all who responded..i really appreciated the info and thank you for taking the time to respond... it's really too bad that one of the boater companies does not take all of the good things about all these boats and put it into one..maybe someday!!!

colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote